United’s Matching Norwegian’s Year-Round Newark-Rome Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no question that Norwegian’s huge push in the US has caused ripples throughout the travel industry. Sub-$400 Europe fares are now a weekly occurrence, on flights operated by Norwegian and the legacy carriers alike.
While Norwegian’s a low-cost carrier, known for offering unbundled fares, major full-service airlines have been forced to increase frequencies and drop their fares — and, in some cases, even launch their own low-cost carriers — in order to maintain market share. Now, United’s feeling some pressure at its Newark, NJ (EWR) hub, thanks to Norwegian’s planned nonstop to Rome (FCO).
In response, today United announced plans to expand its current seasonal Newark-Rome service to operate year-round, albeit on a reduced schedule during off-peak periods. Interestingly, here are the details of Norwegian’s planned service:
4x weekly service (Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays) launching on November 9, 2017. In early February 2018, that frequency will increase to 6x weekly service (adding Tuesdays and Wednesdays).
- Newark (EWR) 11:00pm Departure ⇒ Rome (FCO) 1:05pm (+1) Arrival
- Rome (FCO) 5:25pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 9:00pm Arrival
Meanwhile, here’s what United’s planning for the route:
As you may have noticed, during off-peak periods, United’s scheduled most of its flights to operate on days when Norwegian does not have service, with the exception of Thursdays, when both carriers will fly to Rome. Daily service will be available around the Christmas/New Year’s period, and again from spring through fall 2018.
United doesn’t yet appear to competing on price, though — currently, the lowest round-trip fares from Newark (EWR) to Rome (FCO) come in at $665, while Norwegian’s flight is consistently priced at $360 round-trip. Even after factoring in seat assignments, checked bags, mileage earning and meals, it’ll be hard for travelers to justify a $300+ premium for a legacy carrier, especially when you consider the fact that Norwegian flies new 787 Dreamliners while United operates dated 767s on the route. The situation changes entirely with sub-$400 fares, however — perhaps that’s what we’ll end up seeing from UA.
Which airline will you be flying to Rome?
Featured image courtesy of Marga Frontera via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees