United’s Launching Daily Dreamliner Service From Denver to London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you look at the list of upcoming Polaris Lounge openings, it might seem odd that one of United’s largest US hubs is excluded — Denver (DEN) won’t be getting a Polaris Lounge of its own. The reason? As of today, the only intercontinental United flight operating from DEN flies across the Pacific to Tokyo. But, come March 24, 2018, UA will have another DEN long-haul on its route map, when it resumes seasonal daily service to London-Heathrow (LHR), a route that United reportedly hasn’t offered since 2010.
It’s definitely been a big year for international Denver service announcements — Norwegian announced a London (LGW) flight of its own back in April, and recently shared plans to add a Paris flight as well. Additionally, Swiss subsidiary Edelweiss Air announced a new Zurich (ZRH) nonstop, and Lufthansa flies from Denver to both Frankfurt (FRA) and Munich (MUC). When this United flight returns in March, British Airways, Norwegian and UA will all offer London nonstops — that’s a huge upgrade for DEN.
The new United flight will be seasonal — in 2018, it’s now scheduled to end on October 26. Still, with 217 days of service and 219 seats on the 787-8 Dreamliner, UA’s aircraft of choice, this new flight will add more than 95,000 round-trip seats between DEN and LHR in 2018 alone.
According to industry guru Edward Russell, United will be scaling back Newark (EWR)-LHR frequencies slightly to support this new flight:
Here’s the schedule the airline shared today:
- UA27 Denver (DEN) 5:35pm Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 9:40am (+1) Arrival
- UA26 London (LHR) 11:40am Departure ⇒ Denver (DEN) 2:30pm Arrival
As I mentioned, the Dreamliner assigned to operate this flight, the smaller 787-8, offers 219 seats, with 36 lie-flat business-class seats in a 2-2-2 configuration, 70 Economy Plus seats in 3-3-3 and 113 regular coach seats, also arranged in a 3-3-3 configuration.
I haven’t found Saver award availability just yet, but once seats are loaded you’ll be able to book economy for 30,000 MileagePlus miles and business for 57,500 miles each way, plus the steep Air Passenger Duty, if your return flight originates in the UK. After October 31, 2017, business-class awards will jump to 60,000 miles each way. Paid economy fares start around $850 round-trip, while business class is currently going for $4,000+.
To get an idea of what to expect, check out this review of business class on United’s larger Dreamliner, the 787-9. Note that United now offers new and improved catering and amenities, which you’ll find in this review. Unfortunately this particular aircraft, the 787-8, does not offer the new Polaris seats found on the 777-300ER — instead, you’ll find seats arranged in a 2-2-2 configuration, though they still convert to a lie-flat bed and offer decent privacy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.