Today Only: Uber is Matching Passenger Tips, Rolls Feature out to All US Cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last month, Uber announced that it was making one of its first “180 days of change” changes by implementing an in-app tipping feature for passengers. After originally rolling it out in Seattle, Minneapolis and Houston, it soon expanded the feature to an additional 100 cities. Now, as of today, tipping your driver is now available in all of Uber’s US cities — and the ride-share service is celebrating by matching your tip.
If you take an Uber ride today, July 18, in any of the cities where it operates, Uber will match your tip for each trip taken. You must tip in the Uber app within 24 hours after your ride in order to be eligible for the double tip. Once it’s been submitted, Uber will automatically match it — pretty simple.
— Uber (@Uber) July 18, 2017
Note that it’s only matching tips for trips taken today, and doesn’t include Commute or UberEATS trips. As a reminder, Uber doesn’t take any service fees on tips, so the entire amount you tip (if you choose to do so) and the matched amount goes directly to the driver. If you have a particularly good Uber driver on a trip today, it could be worth it to take advantage of the new tipping option and give him or her a nice surprise. On the flip side, if you’re a driver with Uber, today could be a good day to make some extra trips — and be extra kind to your passengers.
In case you haven’t used it yet, Uber’s new tipping feature allows riders to do so at the end of your trip. After completing the ride, you’ll be first prompted to provide a rating for your driver. After you’ve given a rating, you’ll be given the option to tip him or her, either through the app, on riders.uber.com or from your emailed trip receipt. After your trip has ended, you’ll have 30 days to give the driver a tip, which is a pretty generous window.
This is a nice gesture from Uber, which has been trying to improve its public image since the flurry of negative press that surrounded the company. The company needed a change so badly that its former CEO Travis Kalanick stepped down from his position in June.
If you don’t yet have an Uber account, you can sign up here to receive a $20 credit from TPG. Additionally, be sure to sync a credit card with your Uber account that will earn you the greatest return on your ride, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x points per dollar on travel or the Amex Platinum card, which offers a $200 annual Uber credit to cardholders.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.