Today Only: Uber is Matching Passenger Tips, Rolls Feature out to All US Cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last month, Uber announced that it was making one of its first “180 days of change” changes by implementing an in-app tipping feature for passengers. After originally rolling it out in Seattle, Minneapolis and Houston, it soon expanded the feature to an additional 100 cities. Now, as of today, tipping your driver is now available in all of Uber’s US cities — and the ride-share service is celebrating by matching your tip.
If you take an Uber ride today, July 18, in any of the cities where it operates, Uber will match your tip for each trip taken. You must tip in the Uber app within 24 hours after your ride in order to be eligible for the double tip. Once it’s been submitted, Uber will automatically match it — pretty simple.
— Uber (@Uber) July 18, 2017
Note that it’s only matching tips for trips taken today, and doesn’t include Commute or UberEATS trips. As a reminder, Uber doesn’t take any service fees on tips, so the entire amount you tip (if you choose to do so) and the matched amount goes directly to the driver. If you have a particularly good Uber driver on a trip today, it could be worth it to take advantage of the new tipping option and give him or her a nice surprise. On the flip side, if you’re a driver with Uber, today could be a good day to make some extra trips — and be extra kind to your passengers.
In case you haven’t used it yet, Uber’s new tipping feature allows riders to do so at the end of your trip. After completing the ride, you’ll be first prompted to provide a rating for your driver. After you’ve given a rating, you’ll be given the option to tip him or her, either through the app, on riders.uber.com or from your emailed trip receipt. After your trip has ended, you’ll have 30 days to give the driver a tip, which is a pretty generous window.
This is a nice gesture from Uber, which has been trying to improve its public image since the flurry of negative press that surrounded the company. The company needed a change so badly that its former CEO Travis Kalanick stepped down from his position in June.
If you don’t yet have an Uber account, you can sign up here to receive a $20 credit from TPG. Additionally, be sure to sync a credit card with your Uber account that will earn you the greatest return on your ride, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x points per dollar on travel or the Amex Platinum card, which offers a $200 annual Uber credit to cardholders.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees