This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Forgetting your house keys in an Uber used to be inconvenient — now it’s costly as well. On Tuesday, the ride-hailing company announced it would charge passengers a $15 fee for drivers to return their lost items. It’s a big change for the ride-hailing resident bad-press-magnet — and one that probably won’t do much to please the company’s passengers.
But that’s not the point: This policy is for the drivers. The old lost-item system — in which passengers and drivers would make contact outside of Uber to set up a drop-off or meet-up — left many feeling the pain for time off the clock. And with an average of 11 lost item claims per driver per year, according to Uber, drivers had no way to stop the financial bleeding save the occasional tip from a thankful passenger. Now with a $15 dollar incentive, the drivers might feel better about the lost time.
The shift comes during the company’s “180 Days of Change” campaign to improve drivers’ work experiences through new features, policies and support. June heralded the start of in-app tipping; July has brought the lost item fee, a 24/7 support line and a “ratings protection” system that asks passengers to explain their reasoning behind any driver rating lower than five stars.
Do you ever leave things behind in Uber vehicles? Let us know in the comments below.
H/T: The Verge
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees