Uber Now Charges $15 To Return Lost Items
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Forgetting your house keys in an Uber used to be inconvenient — now it’s costly as well. On Tuesday, the ride-hailing company announced it would charge passengers a $15 fee for drivers to return their lost items. It’s a big change for the ride-hailing resident bad-press-magnet — and one that probably won’t do much to please the company’s passengers.
But that’s not the point: This policy is for the drivers. The old lost-item system — in which passengers and drivers would make contact outside of Uber to set up a drop-off or meet-up — left many feeling the pain for time off the clock. And with an average of 11 lost item claims per driver per year, according to Uber, drivers had no way to stop the financial bleeding save the occasional tip from a thankful passenger. Now with a $15 dollar incentive, the drivers might feel better about the lost time.
The shift comes during the company’s “180 Days of Change” campaign to improve drivers’ work experiences through new features, policies and support. June heralded the start of in-app tipping; July has brought the lost item fee, a 24/7 support line and a “ratings protection” system that asks passengers to explain their reasoning behind any driver rating lower than five stars.
Do you ever leave things behind in Uber vehicles? Let us know in the comments below.
H/T: The Verge
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees