Uber Now Charges $15 To Return Lost Items
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Forgetting your house keys in an Uber used to be inconvenient — now it’s costly as well. On Tuesday, the ride-hailing company announced it would charge passengers a $15 fee for drivers to return their lost items. It’s a big change for the ride-hailing resident bad-press-magnet — and one that probably won’t do much to please the company’s passengers.
But that’s not the point: This policy is for the drivers. The old lost-item system — in which passengers and drivers would make contact outside of Uber to set up a drop-off or meet-up — left many feeling the pain for time off the clock. And with an average of 11 lost item claims per driver per year, according to Uber, drivers had no way to stop the financial bleeding save the occasional tip from a thankful passenger. Now with a $15 dollar incentive, the drivers might feel better about the lost time.
The shift comes during the company’s “180 Days of Change” campaign to improve drivers’ work experiences through new features, policies and support. June heralded the start of in-app tipping; July has brought the lost item fee, a 24/7 support line and a “ratings protection” system that asks passengers to explain their reasoning behind any driver rating lower than five stars.
Do you ever leave things behind in Uber vehicles? Let us know in the comments below.
H/T: The Verge
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.