#TBT: One Giant Leap for Mankind
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On this day in 1969, we saw the first trace of humans on the moon — in the form of a footprint. Some 240,000 miles from Earth, with nearly 76 hours of travel time to the lunar orbit, astronaut Neil Armstrong planted his foot on a powdery gray surface and took a step forward.
With more than half a billion people watching Apollo 11 on television, Armstrong touched his foot on the moon and proclaimed, “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.” Nearly five decades later, Armstrong’s footprint still leaves a lasting impression and his words remain hopeful and courageous.
The day after the mission, The New York Times headline announced, “Men Walk On Moon,” referring to Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, who turned the unimaginable to a reality. Apollo 11 safely returned home on July 24, 1969, and 48 years later, we continue to celebrate the mission each Moon Day.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.