17 Hours in United Economy Plus, Sizing Up the Citi Prestige Card, Lie-Flat Business Class for 10,000 Points and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
One TPG contributor recently flew United’s nonstop flight between San Francisco (SFO) and Singapore (SIN)… in Economy Plus. Read on for the full account of the 17+ hour trip.
Citi has opened up applications for its revamped Prestige Card — but should you sign up? Find out in TPG’s full review.
Find out how you can take advantage of a transfer promotion as well as peculiarities within American’s award chart to snag lie-flat business-class seats for just a little over 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points.
Air France-KLM, Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic have all agreed to form a four-way joint venture agreement, which should mean more frequencies across the Atlantic, more ways to earn and redeem miles on partner carriers and more convenient connections at major hubs. Plus, Delta and China Eastern each purchased a 10% stake in Air France-KLM.
For the past few months, British Airways has been facing a long period of industrial action by its mixed fleet cabin crew, with approximately 1,400 crew members striking for around two weeks at a time, every two weeks since June. However, British Airways has been able to manage the situation well, partly due to the fact that it has wet-leased nine Qatar Airways planes. Find out what exactly makes this situation so unique.
After a recent Allegiant flight between Las Vegas (LAS) and Oklahoma City (OKC) was cancelled just before departure, passengers weren’t able to be rebooked on another flight with the carrier until four days later because it didn’t have another aircraft available to swap in for the one that was having mechanical issues.
In other news…
AirBerlin is Relocating at New York’s JFK Airport
Beginning September 12, 2017, AirBerlin will move from American-dominated Terminal 8 to Terminal 7 at JFK airport, which means premium passengers traveling on AirBerlin will no longer have access to AA’s lounges, but rather the inferior British Airways lounges in T7.
Avianca Suspends Venezuela Flights
This week, Avianca Airlines announced that it had immediately suspended its flights to and from Venezuela. The Colombian carrier is the latest to either greatly reduce or suspend service to the beleaguered South American nation.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.