17 Hours in United Economy Plus, Sizing Up the Citi Prestige Card, Lie-Flat Business Class for 10,000 Points and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
One TPG contributor recently flew United’s nonstop flight between San Francisco (SFO) and Singapore (SIN)… in Economy Plus. Read on for the full account of the 17+ hour trip.
Citi has opened up applications for its revamped Prestige Card — but should you sign up? Find out in TPG’s full review.
Find out how you can take advantage of a transfer promotion as well as peculiarities within American’s award chart to snag lie-flat business-class seats for just a little over 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points.
Air France-KLM, Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic have all agreed to form a four-way joint venture agreement, which should mean more frequencies across the Atlantic, more ways to earn and redeem miles on partner carriers and more convenient connections at major hubs. Plus, Delta and China Eastern each purchased a 10% stake in Air France-KLM.
For the past few months, British Airways has been facing a long period of industrial action by its mixed fleet cabin crew, with approximately 1,400 crew members striking for around two weeks at a time, every two weeks since June. However, British Airways has been able to manage the situation well, partly due to the fact that it has wet-leased nine Qatar Airways planes. Find out what exactly makes this situation so unique.
Allegiant Cancels Flight from Las Vegas, Rebooks Passengers Four Days Later
After a recent Allegiant flight between Las Vegas (LAS) and Oklahoma City (OKC) was cancelled just before departure, passengers weren’t able to be rebooked on another flight with the carrier until four days later because it didn’t have another aircraft available to swap in for the one that was having mechanical issues.
In other news…
AirBerlin is Relocating at New York’s JFK Airport
Beginning September 12, 2017, AirBerlin will move from American-dominated Terminal 8 to Terminal 7 at JFK airport, which means premium passengers traveling on AirBerlin will no longer have access to AA’s lounges, but rather the inferior British Airways lounges in T7.
Avianca Suspends Venezuela Flights
This week, Avianca Airlines announced that it had immediately suspended its flights to and from Venezuela. The Colombian carrier is the latest to either greatly reduce or suspend service to the beleaguered South American nation.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees