Travel Ban 2.0, United Devaluation, New Routes for June and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
President Trump’s revised travel ban went into effect Thursday evening (June 29). Make sure you’re up to speed on the latest information if you’re traveling to or from the United States any time soon.
United shared some unfortunate news this week — it’s going to devalue the MileagePlus program beginning November 1. Familiarize yourself with all the impending changes so you’re not caught by surprise when it happens.
From a whole bunch of new Southwest routes to even more European flights on Norwegian, here are the most exciting airline routes that were launched or announced in June.
Next Tuesday, a committee will vote on a new piece of House legislation that would overturn a current DoT requirement that says airlines must disclose taxes within the advertised price of a ticket.
This week, it was TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig’s turn to open up his wallet. Read on to get the lowdown on why (and how) he has so many cards in his portfolio.
This week, the DHS announced that it’s unveiled enhanced security measures that will prevent the agency from expanding the electronics ban any further. European officials also followed suit with the same announcement and advanced security measures, and both US and European officials said that the new protocol will be implemented within the next three weeks.
In other news…
Houston Airports Adding Technology to Help Passengers Navigate Terminals
Houston Airport System shared this week that it’s launching a wayfinding program to help passengers get around terminals at George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU) airports. The best part is that passengers don’t have to download a separate app to use the feature.
Register for Club Carlson’s Summer Promotion
Club Carlson is running a new promotion for summer, called “Free Fridays.” After you register, you’ll be able to earn up to three free Friday nights or up to 30,000 Bonus Gold points, depending on what you choose at registration. In order to be eligible, you must stay between July 1 and September 30, 2017.
Alaska Celebrates the Seattle Mariners’ 40th Anniversary With Special Livery
Check out Alaska’s special commemorative livery on one of the its Boeing 737-800 aircraft to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Seattle Mariners baseball club. Alaska has long been a partner of the team that represents its home city.
Citi Launches Customized Spend Summary Within Its Mobile App
Citi has rolled out a change to its mobile app in which cardholders can view a summary of what they’ve been spending within a specific date range. This update makes Citi the only major issuer to offer this functionality in a mobile app.
Featured image of Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.