Travel Ban 2.0, United Devaluation, New Routes for June and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
President Trump’s revised travel ban went into effect Thursday evening (June 29). Make sure you’re up to speed on the latest information if you’re traveling to or from the United States any time soon.
United shared some unfortunate news this week — it’s going to devalue the MileagePlus program beginning November 1. Familiarize yourself with all the impending changes so you’re not caught by surprise when it happens.
Exciting New Airline Routes for June 2017 and Beyond
From a whole bunch of new Southwest routes to even more European flights on Norwegian, here are the most exciting airline routes that were launched or announced in June.
Next Tuesday, a committee will vote on a new piece of House legislation that would overturn a current DoT requirement that says airlines must disclose taxes within the advertised price of a ticket.
This week, it was TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig’s turn to open up his wallet. Read on to get the lowdown on why (and how) he has so many cards in his portfolio.
US Unveils New Security Requirements to Limit Electronics Ban Expansion
This week, the DHS announced that it’s unveiled enhanced security measures that will prevent the agency from expanding the electronics ban any further. European officials also followed suit with the same announcement and advanced security measures, and both US and European officials said that the new protocol will be implemented within the next three weeks.
In other news…
Houston Airports Adding Technology to Help Passengers Navigate Terminals
Houston Airport System shared this week that it’s launching a wayfinding program to help passengers get around terminals at George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU) airports. The best part is that passengers don’t have to download a separate app to use the feature.
Register for Club Carlson’s Summer Promotion
Club Carlson is running a new promotion for summer, called “Free Fridays.” After you register, you’ll be able to earn up to three free Friday nights or up to 30,000 Bonus Gold points, depending on what you choose at registration. In order to be eligible, you must stay between July 1 and September 30, 2017.
Alaska Celebrates the Seattle Mariners’ 40th Anniversary With Special Livery
Check out Alaska’s special commemorative livery on one of the its Boeing 737-800 aircraft to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Seattle Mariners baseball club. Alaska has long been a partner of the team that represents its home city.
Citi Launches Customized Spend Summary Within Its Mobile App
Citi has rolled out a change to its mobile app in which cardholders can view a summary of what they’ve been spending within a specific date range. This update makes Citi the only major issuer to offer this functionality in a mobile app.
Featured image of Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees