This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Several airlines (American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines) are offering travelers change fee waivers for travel throughout parts of the Northeast. With stormy weather expected, the waivers are for travel tomorrow or Saturday (AA is the only carrier offering the waiver into Saturday).
If you’re flying to/from the affected airports, you can utilize these change fee waivers to rebook yourself on a different date. Or, if you’re just connecting through the area, you can use these change fee waivers to reroute yourself through different airports or on different dates.
Here’s a map of all of the airports included in at least one of the waivers below:
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of this writing, here are the available travel waivers for today:
- Travel date: July 28-29
- Airports affected: Akron (CAK), Allentown (ABE), Baltimore (BWI), Harrisburg (MDT), Hartford (BDL), Islip (ISP), New Haven (HVN), New York – Kennedy (JFK), New York – LaGuardia (LGA), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Pittsburgh (PIT), Salisbury (SBY), State College (SCE), Newburgh (SWF), Washington – Dulles (IAD), Washington – Reagan (DCA), White Plains (HPN), Wilkes-Barre (AVP), Williamsport (IPT)
- Must have bought your ticket by July 26. Rebook travel anytime between July 26-31. You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel date: July 28
- Airports affected: Baltimore (BWI), New York – Kennedy (JFK), New York – LaGuardia (LGA), Newark (EWR), Newburgh (SWF), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington – Dulles (IAD), Washington – Raegan (DCA), White Plains (HPN)
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: July 31
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond July 31, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
- Travel dates: July 28
- Airports affected: Baltimore (BWI), Newark (EWR), New York – Kennedy (JFK), New York – LaGuardia (LGA), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington – Dulles (IAD), Washington – Raegan (DCA), White Plains (HPN)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before July 31, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees