This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Several airlines (American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines) are offering travelers change fee waivers for travel throughout parts of the Northeast. With stormy weather expected, the waivers are for travel tomorrow or Saturday (AA is the only carrier offering the waiver into Saturday).
If you’re flying to/from the affected airports, you can utilize these change fee waivers to rebook yourself on a different date. Or, if you’re just connecting through the area, you can use these change fee waivers to reroute yourself through different airports or on different dates.
Here’s a map of all of the airports included in at least one of the waivers below:
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of this writing, here are the available travel waivers for today:
- Travel date: July 28-29
- Airports affected: Akron (CAK), Allentown (ABE), Baltimore (BWI), Harrisburg (MDT), Hartford (BDL), Islip (ISP), New Haven (HVN), New York – Kennedy (JFK), New York – LaGuardia (LGA), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Pittsburgh (PIT), Salisbury (SBY), State College (SCE), Newburgh (SWF), Washington – Dulles (IAD), Washington – Reagan (DCA), White Plains (HPN), Wilkes-Barre (AVP), Williamsport (IPT)
- Must have bought your ticket by July 26. Rebook travel anytime between July 26-31. You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel date: July 28
- Airports affected: Baltimore (BWI), New York – Kennedy (JFK), New York – LaGuardia (LGA), Newark (EWR), Newburgh (SWF), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington – Dulles (IAD), Washington – Raegan (DCA), White Plains (HPN)
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: July 31
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond July 31, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
- Travel dates: July 28
- Airports affected: Baltimore (BWI), Newark (EWR), New York – Kennedy (JFK), New York – LaGuardia (LGA), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington – Dulles (IAD), Washington – Raegan (DCA), White Plains (HPN)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before July 31, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees