United CEO Munoz Moves Into Oprah’s Former Apartment in Chicago
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Out with the Oprah, in with the Oscar. United CEO Oscar Munoz is the newest resident on floor 57 of Chicago‘s Water Tower Place. Coincidentally, the space he’s moving into is the same unit that used to be the home of Oprah Winfrey. And, he got quite a deal on the apartment, which sold for $3.55 million in February, $150,000 less than the list price of $3.7 million.
Oprah’s former residence occupied a sprawling 9,625 square feet. But since she sold it in 2015, a group split the space into several smaller units and has since renovated each one. Munoz and his wife purchased one of the 3,400-square-foot spaces, which means that Munoz will officially be a resident of the Windy City — United‘s home town.
— Chicago magazine (@ChicagoMag) July 11, 2017
Water Tower Place (the white marble building pictured below) is also home to the Ritz-Carlton, Chicago. The hotel occupies floors 15 through 30 of the building, which is located just a block away from the John Hancock Center (the dark tower pictured below).
Since purchasing the condo in February, the Munoz family continued to live in Florida as their youngest son finished school. The final product looks a bit different from when Oprah claimed residence. A Chicago-based design firm gave it a complete makeover — transforming the space from an early-90s French country style to a modern interpretation of art deco.
Chicago magazine published some photos from inside the residence, and it looks pretty sleek. From a large tub in the master bathroom to a large kitchen with sprawling views of Lake Michigan. Munoz is also reportedly personalizing the apartment with his selection of artwork.
Featured image courtesy of Chicago Tribune via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.