United CEO Munoz Moves Into Oprah’s Former Apartment in Chicago
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Out with the Oprah, in with the Oscar. United CEO Oscar Munoz is the newest resident on floor 57 of Chicago’s Water Tower Place. Coincidentally, the space he’s moving into is the same unit that used to be the home of Oprah Winfrey. And, he got quite a deal on the apartment, which sold for $3.55 million in February, $150,000 less than the list price of $3.7 million.
Oprah’s former residence occupied a sprawling 9,625 square feet. But since she sold it in 2015, a group split the space into several smaller units and has since renovated each one. Munoz and his wife purchased one of the 3,400-square-foot spaces, which means that Munoz will officially be a resident of the Windy City — United‘s home town.
— Chicago magazine (@ChicagoMag) July 11, 2017
Water Tower Place (the white marble building pictured below) is also home to the Ritz-Carlton, Chicago. The hotel occupies floors 15 through 30 of the building, which is located just a block away from the John Hancock Center (the dark tower pictured below).
Since purchasing the condo in February, the Munoz family continued to live in Florida as their youngest son finished school. The final product looks a bit different from when Oprah claimed residence. A Chicago-based design firm gave it a complete makeover — transforming the space from an early-90s French country style to a modern interpretation of art deco.
Chicago magazine published some photos from inside the residence, and it looks pretty sleek. From a large tub in the master bathroom to a large kitchen with sprawling views of Lake Michigan. Munoz is also reportedly personalizing the apartment with his selection of artwork.
Featured image courtesy of Chicago Tribune via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees