Inside Black Tomato’s Blink, A Custom Luxury Travel Organizer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If there’s one drawback of luxury travel it might be the lack of options: You can’t just show up on some abandoned hilltop in the Andes and expect five-star service. But that’s all changed with Blink, travel company Black Tomato’s ultra-customizable vacation organizer that transforms even the wildest, most far-out wilderness spots into luxurious getaways. Blink also lets users design every detail of a trip — from the rugs in your custom-built quarters to the artwork hanging on its walls.
Blink has created design-it-yourself trips across the world, in many cases bringing luxury to places where high-end travel is hard to come by. It’s all a part of the parent company’s mission to create one-of-a-kind experiences, said Black Tomato co-founder Tom Marchant. “No cookie-cutter product, no re-working of the same thing, no travel by the numbers. Blink is yours and yours alone,” Marchant told The Points Guy.
Blink’s not for the budget traveler; a single trip can cost upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Then again, building a luxury tent oasis on Morocco’s sand dunes — as company rep Brendan Drewniany told TPG Blink once did — ain’t cheap. When you sign up for a Blink vacation, you’re given the power to design just about anything. It’s a central selling point for the brand and one that Drewniany says its clients certainly make the most of.
“When you’re involved with something at this price point, you generally get customers who have very specific requests,” he said, adding that Blink’s clientele appreciate that level of customizability. One traveler, who asked to remain anonymous, told TPG that he and his wife designed an Icelandic honeymoon with Blink.
“We were able to fully customize two luxury camps [and picked] the exact locations — Hafursey, located in southern Iceland near the imposing black beaches of Vik, and the remote Kötlujökull glacier,” he said. “With the help of expert travel planners, we customized the style and furnishings of our luxurious dome tents [with] luxury linens, Icelandic woolen rugs and even locally made crafts and furniture from Reykjavik’s hottest designers.”
There’s almost no dream too crazy for Blink’s travel team — even the staff can be hand-picked. Drewniany said spa therapists, astronomers and adventure guides are among the many options clients can choose from. Alongside just about every other aspect of travel-planning, Blink’s offerings really do present an all-immersive, all-inclusive travel experience unlike anything else in the world.
According to Marchant, sustainability is also a top concern for Blink. “When our clients are finished with their experience in the remote wilderness, they will leave and with them the accommodation disappears too, leaving no trace that humans were ever there and letting the natural environment remain in its perfect harmony,” said Marchant.
Featured image courtesy of Black Tomato.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.