A Look at the New First- and Business-Class Seats Coming to Airbus Cabins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus aircraft are in use all around the world — whether the airline is flying its flagship A380 or the traditional A330 — and some cabins are being updated to feature the very best first- and business-class seats on the market today. I recently caught up with Stelia Aerospace — the manufacturers of Asiana Airlines’ A350 business-class seats — to see what’s new and coming soon to an Airbus aircraft near you.
The Ultimate 17 First-Class Suite
First up is the Ultimate 17 by Stelia Aerospace, a fully-enclosed first class suite with double doors and a curved HDTV flat screen.
The suite comes with a single bed that’s 32 inches wide and has a fully-flat length of 79 inches.
The ottoman has multiple uses, acting as a footrest in the reclined position and making up part of the fully flat bed. It’s also a generous storage compartment and works as a “buddy seat” if another passenger wishes to dine with you, as long as the table is pulled out and placed in between.
While it can be heavily customized by the airline, the showcased option I saw was a good example of the amount of luxury achievable in a “ready to buy” first-class suite seat. Additional innovative features include the ability for passengers to control the recline, position and firmness via an iPhone app.
The Solstys Business-Class Seat
Stelia Aerospace also showcased its Solstys seat, which is already in service on several airlines, including Thai Airways, Asiana, Etihad and Air Berlin. These seats have a pitch of 77 inches when in the full lie-flat position and can be customized with different headrests and upholsteries depending on the airline.
Also great to see was the new technology that’s been integrated into the seat. In addition to USB power points and headphone jacks, the illuminated black panel to the left of the seat offers compatibility for contactless credit card payments, definitely a trend we are moving toward. Furthermore, the circled battery logo on the right side of the table indicates a wireless charging point.
In terms of comfort, airlines can define the cushioning effect of the seat using technology called Octaspring. Multiple springs are placed within the seat during the definition and customization phase, and depending on the airline, the “firmness” of the spring will be adjusted, determining the overall comfort of the seat for passengers.
Stelia Aerospace is continuing to provide innovative updates either new and existing seats that have become a passenger favorite. With contactless payments, wireless phone charging and Octaspring technology, there’s a lot for first- and business-class flyers to be excited about.
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees