A Look at the New First- and Business-Class Seats Coming to Airbus Cabins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus aircraft are in use all around the world — whether the airline is flying its flagship A380 or the traditional A330 — and some cabins are being updated to feature the very best first- and business-class seats on the market today. I recently caught up with Stelia Aerospace — the manufacturers of Asiana Airlines’ A350 business-class seats — to see what’s new and coming soon to an Airbus aircraft near you.
The Ultimate 17 First-Class Suite
First up is the Ultimate 17 by Stelia Aerospace, a fully-enclosed first class suite with double doors and a curved HDTV flat screen.
The suite comes with a single bed that’s 32 inches wide and has a fully-flat length of 79 inches.
The ottoman has multiple uses, acting as a footrest in the reclined position and making up part of the fully flat bed. It’s also a generous storage compartment and works as a “buddy seat” if another passenger wishes to dine with you, as long as the table is pulled out and placed in between.
While it can be heavily customized by the airline, the showcased option I saw was a good example of the amount of luxury achievable in a “ready to buy” first-class suite seat. Additional innovative features include the ability for passengers to control the recline, position and firmness via an iPhone app.
The Solstys Business-Class Seat
Stelia Aerospace also showcased its Solstys seat, which is already in service on several airlines, including Thai Airways, Asiana, Etihad and Air Berlin. These seats have a pitch of 77 inches when in the full lie-flat position and can be customized with different headrests and upholsteries depending on the airline.
Also great to see was the new technology that’s been integrated into the seat. In addition to USB power points and headphone jacks, the illuminated black panel to the left of the seat offers compatibility for contactless credit card payments, definitely a trend we are moving toward. Furthermore, the circled battery logo on the right side of the table indicates a wireless charging point.
In terms of comfort, airlines can define the cushioning effect of the seat using technology called Octaspring. Multiple springs are placed within the seat during the definition and customization phase, and depending on the airline, the “firmness” of the spring will be adjusted, determining the overall comfort of the seat for passengers.
Stelia Aerospace is continuing to provide innovative updates either new and existing seats that have become a passenger favorite. With contactless payments, wireless phone charging and Octaspring technology, there’s a lot for first- and business-class flyers to be excited about.
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.