Watch Out for Erroneous Information on the Chase Travel Portal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Imagine this: You’re booked on a multi-segment flight that includes a 15-hour overnight layover in Istanbul — perfect for stretching your legs and doing a quick visit to the Blue Mosque. Your accommodation is booked, and airport transfers all arranged for the 8am flight out the following morning. You arrive at the airport and head to the check-in desks, only to receive boarding passes for… Hong Kong?
That’s exactly what may happen, as we found out, if you book a flight from Washington D.C. (IAD) to Kathmandu (KTM) via the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal. We discovered, from a quick 10-minute search, that some flight itineraries suggested by the portal may contain erroneous information that can potentially cause inconvenience and affect travel plans.
As with this itinerary from the Chase portal, passengers on board Singapore Airlines Flight 1 leaving San Francisco (SFO) will be surprised to find themselves headed for Hong Kong (HKG) instead of Istanbul (IST). Furthermore, the flight continues on to Singapore (SIN) after a short 1-hour layover, arriving, surprisingly, at the same time of 12:00pm as indicated in the itinerary. While you may argue that this, in the grand scheme of things, does not affect the overall journey from IAD to KTM, it will definitely create confusion and cause unnecessary alarm to some, especially those who intend to make good use of that 15-hour layover in Istanbul.
A quick search on Google Flights yielded the same flights, but with more accurate information:
As a second example, let’s consider this series of Emirates flights, which will take passengers from Sydney (SYD) to Munich (MUC) in a record-breaking time of 18 hours and 5 minutes.
On close inspection, the first leg from Sydney to Dubai in 9 hours and 20 minutes seemed fishy. A quick check on Google Flights yielded the same itinerary, albeit with a much longer travel time of 26 hours and 40 minutes. The difference? Chase’s itinerary had completely dropped the Bangkok (BKK) layover and mistakenly shaved off more than eight hours from this 7,700-mile trek to the Middle East.
When contacted, Chase mentioned that it is aware of this issue, and that it is working to rectify any erroneous information. More importantly, Chase assured us that all issued tickets booked through the portal will show accurate information, which may be different from any erroneous ones resulting from the online glitch.
This should definitely not be a reason to avoid booking through the portal, especially if you can take advantage of the 1.5 cents per point redemption with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. However, we do suggest you double check your itinerary with another trusted source such as Google Flights, or with online travel agencies (OTAs) such as Expedia and Priceline. After all, it’s always better to spend an extra 30 seconds to fact check than to spend an additional eight hours on a plane, completely unexpected.
Featured image courtesy of Anupong Sonprom/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.