Watch Out for Erroneous Information on the Chase Travel Portal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Imagine this: You’re booked on a multi-segment flight that includes a 15-hour overnight layover in Istanbul — perfect for stretching your legs and doing a quick visit to the Blue Mosque. Your accommodation is booked, and airport transfers all arranged for the 8am flight out the following morning. You arrive at the airport and head to the check-in desks, only to receive boarding passes for… Hong Kong?
That’s exactly what may happen, as we found out, if you book a flight from Washington D.C. (IAD) to Kathmandu (KTM) via the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal. We discovered, from a quick 10-minute search, that some flight itineraries suggested by the portal may contain erroneous information that can potentially cause inconvenience and affect travel plans.
As with this itinerary from the Chase portal, passengers on board Singapore Airlines Flight 1 leaving San Francisco (SFO) will be surprised to find themselves headed for Hong Kong (HKG) instead of Istanbul (IST). Furthermore, the flight continues on to Singapore (SIN) after a short 1-hour layover, arriving, surprisingly, at the same time of 12:00pm as indicated in the itinerary. While you may argue that this, in the grand scheme of things, does not affect the overall journey from IAD to KTM, it will definitely create confusion and cause unnecessary alarm to some, especially those who intend to make good use of that 15-hour layover in Istanbul.
A quick search on Google Flights yielded the same flights, but with more accurate information:
As a second example, let’s consider this series of Emirates flights, which will take passengers from Sydney (SYD) to Munich (MUC) in a record-breaking time of 18 hours and 5 minutes.
On close inspection, the first leg from Sydney to Dubai in 9 hours and 20 minutes seemed fishy. A quick check on Google Flights yielded the same itinerary, albeit with a much longer travel time of 26 hours and 40 minutes. The difference? Chase’s itinerary had completely dropped the Bangkok (BKK) layover and mistakenly shaved off more than eight hours from this 7,700-mile trek to the Middle East.
When contacted, Chase mentioned that it is aware of this issue, and that it is working to rectify any erroneous information. More importantly, Chase assured us that all issued tickets booked through the portal will show accurate information, which may be different from any erroneous ones resulting from the online glitch.
This should definitely not be a reason to avoid booking through the portal, especially if you can take advantage of the 1.5 cents per point redemption with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. However, we do suggest you double check your itinerary with another trusted source such as Google Flights, or with online travel agencies (OTAs) such as Expedia and Priceline. After all, it’s always better to spend an extra 30 seconds to fact check than to spend an additional eight hours on a plane, completely unexpected.
Featured image courtesy of Anupong Sonprom/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees