This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The state of the electronics ban has been changing a lot in the past few days. Within the past week, we’ve learned that the US was allowing airports to be removed from the ban if they implemented new, enhanced security screening measures. And since that announcement, Emirates, Etihad and Turkish have lifted the ban, allowing passengers to take their large electronics in their carry-on luggage. Now, Qatar Airways has announced that large electronics are once again permitted on its flights, too.
There was some question if Qatar would be among the carriers that would be lifting the ban, given the ongoing political rift in the country. However, we now know that the electronics ban has been lifted at Hamad International (DOH) after the airport met the new US security requirements.
Qatar Airways is delighted to announce that all electronic items
can once again be carried on board all flights to the United States pic.twitter.com/f5GS1F8fA4
— Qatar Airways (@qatarairways) July 6, 2017
According to Reuters, Qatar Airways’ Chief Executive Akbar al-Baker said that the carrier was now complying with the “new draconian requirements” after it went through a two-day audit.
So, as it stands, there are still five airlines that still have the electronics ban in place — Saudia (expected to be cleared July 19), Kuwait Airways, Royal Air Maroc, EgyptAir and Royal Jordanian.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards