Deal Alert: US Cities to Italy From $427 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm EST within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation.
Italy is one of the most romantic destinations in Europe and today, you can save some money taking your significant other with you. We’re seeing great fares on a number of full-service carriers — including United, Air Canada, Swiss, Lufthansa, British Airways and Iberia — to both Rome (FCO) and Florence (FLR) from cities all across the country starting as low as $427 round-trip.
Flights are available from September through the end of the schedule in May 2018, and to secure the best prices, you’ll usually find a seven-day minimum stay requirement. You don’t need any tricks to find these fares, so use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself.
Most of these itineraries have one reasonable connection either on the East Coast of the US if you’re coming from further west, or in Canada or in Europe itself. Since these are international trips on mainstream carriers, travelers will get their first checked bag free and even a complimentary meal during the flight.
Airlines: United, Air Canada, Swiss, Lufthansa, British Airways, Iberia
Routes: NYC/BOS/PHL/CLT/MIA/DFW/DTW/LAX to FCO/FLR
Cost: $427+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2017 through May 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Boston (BOS) to Rome, Italy (FCO) for $427 round-trip via Orbitz:
Detroit (DTW) to Rome (FCO) for $428 round-trip via Orbitz:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Rome (FCO) for $429 round-trip via Orbitz:
New York (JFK) to Florence, Italy (FLR) for $436 round-trip via Orbitz:
Philadelphia/30th Street Station (ZFV) to Rome (FCO) for $439 round-trip via Orbitz:
Dallas (DFW) to Rome (FCO) for $448 round-trip via Orbitz:
Charlotte (CLT) to Rome (FCO) for $451 round-trip via Orbitz:
Miami (MIA) to Florence (FLR) for $489 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: Secret Flying
Featured image courtesy of Erik Pronske Photography/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.