Deal Alert: US Cities to Beijing From $457 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
The US legacy airlines are at it again. Earlier this month, American, Delta and United offered some great fares on flights to China. Today, those fares are back — but to more cities and, in some cases, even cheaper than before. Look for flights to Beijing (PEK) from Phoenix (PHX), Philadelphia/30th Street Station (ZFV), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Denver (DEN) Las Vegas (LAS), San Diego (SAN) and San Francisco (SFO) starting at just $457 round-trip.
Travelers can find availability at these prices with departures from September through April, save for the December holidays. Some of these airfares are even available one-way should you want to use points or miles for the other leg; just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Since these are international trips on mainstream carriers, passengers will get their first checked bag free and a complimentary meal during the flight.
While travelers won’t be able to take advantage of China’s “visa-free transit” policy on these itineraries since there isn’t a visit to a third country, be sure you get the proper visa before traveling. TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa; mention The Points Guy on your order form and receive a $5 discount.
Airlines: American Airlines, Delta Airlines, United Airlines
Routes: BOS/ZFV/ORD/PHX/LAS/DEN/SAN/SFO to PEK
Cost: $457+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September through April
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Phoenix (PHX) to Beijing, China (PEK) for $457 round-trip on United via Orbitz:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Beijing (PEK) for $473 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
Denver (DEN) to Beijing (PEK) for $473 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
Boston (BOS) to Beijing (PEK) for $478 round-trip on Delta via Orbitz:
Philadelphia/30th Street Station (ZFV) to Beijing (PEK) for $492 round-trip on United via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) nonstop for $521 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
San Diego (SAN) to Beijing (PEK) nonstop for $523 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Beijing (PEK) nonstop for $528 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image courtesy of rabbit75_ist/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees