Deal Alert: US Cities to Beijing From $457 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
The US legacy airlines are at it again. Earlier this month, American, Delta and United offered some great fares on flights to China. Today, those fares are back — but to more cities and, in some cases, even cheaper than before. Look for flights to Beijing (PEK) from Phoenix (PHX), Philadelphia/30th Street Station (ZFV), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Denver (DEN) Las Vegas (LAS), San Diego (SAN) and San Francisco (SFO) starting at just $457 round-trip.
Travelers can find availability at these prices with departures from September through April, save for the December holidays. Some of these airfares are even available one-way should you want to use points or miles for the other leg; just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Since these are international trips on mainstream carriers, passengers will get their first checked bag free and a complimentary meal during the flight.
While travelers won’t be able to take advantage of China’s “visa-free transit” policy on these itineraries since there isn’t a visit to a third country, be sure you get the proper visa before traveling. TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa; mention The Points Guy on your order form and receive a $5 discount.
Airlines: American Airlines, Delta Airlines, United Airlines
Routes: BOS/ZFV/ORD/PHX/LAS/DEN/SAN/SFO to PEK
Cost: $457+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September through April
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Phoenix (PHX) to Beijing, China (PEK) for $457 round-trip on United via Orbitz:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Beijing (PEK) for $473 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
Denver (DEN) to Beijing (PEK) for $473 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
Boston (BOS) to Beijing (PEK) for $478 round-trip on Delta via Orbitz:
Philadelphia/30th Street Station (ZFV) to Beijing (PEK) for $492 round-trip on United via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) nonstop for $521 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
San Diego (SAN) to Beijing (PEK) nonstop for $523 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Beijing (PEK) nonstop for $528 round-trip on American via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image courtesy of rabbit75_ist/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.