The Fastest Airport Wi-Fi in North America, Ranked
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Walking into an airport terminal can be an overwhelming experience. The bright white lights and sounds of gate changes and last calls announced over the intercom make it almost impossible to relax before a flight. Luckily, one of the best ways to escape the physical world is by diving into the digital one via phone or laptop. The most important asset needed to successfully share photos on Instagram or catch up on Netflix before getting on the plane? Wi-Fi, of course.
Fortunately, the folks at Speedtest, an internet performance testing company, found the best airports suited for internet-needing travelers. By using internal data from March through May 2017, Speedtest analyzed and ranked free Wi-Fi speeds (in megabits per second) in 25 of the busiest airports across North America. We use Speedtest’s service when conducting TPG flight and hotel reviews, so we were thrilled when it released these airport rankings.
The Fastest 5 (Average in Mbps)
Access to the internet is an increasingly important thing for most 21st-century travelers. Many airports are heeding the call, and a select few are doing a fantastic job of providing. Unless you have access to a Centurion Lounge, there’s a good chance that it won’t get any better than this.
1. Denver International Airport (DEN)
Download Speed: 78.22
Upload Speed: 78.29
2. Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
Download Speed: 55.06
Upload Speed: 57.82
3. Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
Download Speed: 48.39
Upload Speed: 53.33
4. San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
Download Speed: 45.31
Upload Speed: 52.85
5. Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
Download Speed: 43.66
Upload Speed: 50.02
The Slowest 5 (Average in Mbps)
Travelers dependent on Wi-Fi may want to avoid these five airports. With the slowest speeds of any airport offering free Wi-Fi on the list, you have two options: use internet through your phone carrier or opt for activities that don’t require too much internet bandwidth — like reading a good old-fashioned book.
1. Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
Download Speed: 1.92
Upload Speed: 2.00
2. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
Download Speed: 2.68
Upload Speed: 1.33
3. Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
Download Speed: 4.31
Upload Speed: 8.60
4. Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
Download Speed: 7.06
Upload Speed: 4.90
5. Orlando International Airport (MCO)
Download Speed: 7.96
Upload Speed: 10.42
Overall, North America offers some of the fastest airport Wi-Fi speeds in the world. Denver International Airport (DEN) blows away the nearest competition with download speeds of 78.22 Mbps, while other international hubs like Philadelphia International (PHL), San Francisco International (SFO) and Seattle-Tacoma International (SEA) offer excellent connectivity.
Home airport not listed above? Here’s the list of Wi-Fi speeds at North America’s busiest departure locations, courtesy of Speedtest.net:
The List of Airport Wi-Fi Speeds in North America
|Rank||Airport||Avg DL Mbps||Avg UL Mbps|
|1.||Denver International Airport (DEN)||78.22||78.29|
|2.||Vancouver International Airport (YVR)||55.06||57.82|
|3.||Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)||48.39||53.33|
|4.||San Francisco International Airport (SFO)||45.31||52.85|
|5.||Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)||43.66||50.02|
|6.||Calgary International Airport (YYC)||41.83||61.48|
|7.||Logan International Airport (BOS)||32.22||32.41|
|8.||Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)||32.03||72.45|
|9.||Benito Juárez International Airport (MEX)||27.73||18.97|
|10.||Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)||22.85||22.53|
|11.||Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)||17.82||20.35|
|12.||Miami International Airport (MIA)||15.29||14.51|
|13.||John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)||14.86||9.65|
|14.||Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)||14.25||8.10|
|15.||Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)||13.68||10.72|
|16.||George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)||13.64||20.27|
|17.||LaGuardia Airport (LGA)||13.57||9.15|
|18.||Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)||11.74||10.32|
|19.||McCarran International Airport (LAS)||10.63||9.25|
|20.||Phoenix Sky Harber International Airport||8.31||5.50|
|21.||Orlando International Airport (MCO)||7.96||10.42|
|22.||Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)||7.06||4.90|
|23.||Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)||4.31||8.60|
|24.||Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)||2.68||1.33|
|25.||Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)||1.92||2.00|
Where does your airport rank? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of pawel.gaul via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.