This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re trying to maximize your spending to earn the most rewards possible, online shopping portals can be quite handy. Simply by clicking through one of these sites to make a purchase at your retailer of choice, you can rake in several extra points or miles per dollar. It’s worth taking the extra few seconds to do this even when a portal will only net you an extra mile or two, but it’s especially lucrative when you can take advantage of elevated earning rates.
Currently, the United MileagePlus Shopping portal is offering up to 20 miles per dollar when you shop with select brands. This promo is available now through July 16, and the elevated rates are as follows:
|Retailer||Elevated Rate||Standard Rate|
|Athleta||6 miles per dollar||2 miles per dollar|
|Bonton||10 miles per dollar||2 miles per dollar|
|eBags||20 miles per dollar||4 miles per dollar|
|Gilt||10 miles per dollar||2 miles per dollar|
|Gilt City||20 miles per dollar||2 miles per dollar|
|Jane||5 miles per dollar||1 mile per dollar|
|Laneige||15 miles per dollar||5 miles per dollar|
|L’Occitane||15 miles per dollar||3 miles per dollar|
|Lord & Taylor||12 miles per dollar||4 miles per dollar|
|Saks Fifth Avenue||12 miles per dollar||4 miles per dollar|
|Saks Off Fifth||12 miles per dollar||4 miles per dollar|
You’ll get the highest return (20 miles per dollar) when shopping at eBags and Gilt City — a 30% return based on TPG’s latest valuations. Even the retailers with the lowest elevated rates will net you some significant miles, though; 5x miles at Jane.com equates to a 7.5% return on spending.
Depending on whether or not this current promo aligns with your shopping needs at the moment, this could be a good opportunity to do some shopping and boost your MileagePlus balance in one fell swoop. Just make sure to make your purchase by clicking through the United shopping portal by Sunday night if you’re interested!
Will you be taking advantage of these elevated earning rates?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees