Following Successful Launch, ViaSat-2 Prepares for Huge In-Flight Wi-Fi Boost
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like with any rocket launch, there was a bit of risk surrounding last night’s mission, when ViaSat’s brand-new high-capacity satellite, ViaSat-2, made its way from a South American town just north of the equator to its new home in space. Well, near its new home, at least — over the next few months, the 14,000-pound satellite will complete its journey to final geostationary orbit, at which point it’ll finally be ready to use its 300 gigabit-per-second throughput to beam super-speedy Wi-Fi between the earth and commercial aircraft flying above.
So what does that mean for you? Faster, cheaper in-flight Wi-Fi, with much broader coverage. In other words, last night’s launch was a very big deal for those of us who depend on reliable connectivity at 30,000 feet.
ViaSat is one of the three most prevalent in-flight connectivity providers in the US — the other two being Gogo and Panasonic. ViaSat provides service to United, Virgin America (Alaska) and JetBlue via its ViaSat-1 satellite. American Airlines has signed on for service as well, which will launch with the Boeing 737 MAX. Following a modem and antenna upgrade, existing aircraft should be able to connect to ViaSat-2 as well, which will provide coverage throughout North America, along with parts of South America, the Caribbean and sections of the Atlantic Ocean (covering transatlantic flights).
ViaSat-2 is expected to reach its final orbit sometime in October. Following a launch for residential customers in late-2017, we should expect to see the first commercial aircraft connect to ViaSat-2 early next year.
For more on this week’s launch, see What ViaSat 2 Means for the Future of In-Flight Wi-Fi.
Featured image courtesy of Service Optique CSG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees