This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yesterday, Boeing made its latest installment of the 737 — the 737 MAX 10 — official. At the time of the announcement, we only knew of two companies that had announced a Memorandum of Understanding to order the aircraft, BOC Aviation in Singapore and the India-based SpiceJet. And today, United Airlines announced that it’s going to place its own order of MAX 10s.
At the Paris Air Show, United announced that it’s placed an order for 100 MAX 10s. Of its current order of 161 737 MAX aircraft, United is choosing to make 100 of those the MAX 10 variant, which it’ll use on domestic routes.
— John Walton @ #PAS17 (@thatjohn) June 20, 2017
The new MAX 10 can hold up to 230 passengers and is 66 inches longer than its predecessor, the MAX 9. “The 737 MAX 10 will enable us to continue using larger and more efficient aircraft within our domestic network and better meet the needs of our customers,” United Chief Financial Officer Andrew Levy said.
— Edward Russell (@e_russell) June 20, 2017
The remaining 61 MAX orders will be the MAX 9 variant, and deliveries will begin in April 2019. United expects to begin taking deliveries of the MAX 10s in 2020. In addition to expanding its narrow-body fleet with the 737s, United also announced today that it’s ordering four additional 777-300ER aircraft, which will feature the carrier’s new Polaris business class.
Elsewhere at the Paris Air Show, United’s competitor Delta announced that it’s ordering an additional 10 Airbus A321 aircraft, increasing the number of A321s in its fleet to 122.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees