United Places Order for 100 Boeing 737 MAX 10s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yesterday, Boeing made its latest installment of the 737 — the 737 MAX 10 — official. At the time of the announcement, we only knew of two companies that had announced a Memorandum of Understanding to order the aircraft, BOC Aviation in Singapore and the India-based SpiceJet. And today, United Airlines announced that it’s going to place its own order of MAX 10s.
At the Paris Air Show, United announced that it’s placed an order for 100 MAX 10s. Of its current order of 161 737 MAX aircraft, United is choosing to make 100 of those the MAX 10 variant, which it’ll use on domestic routes.
— John Walton @ #PAS17 (@thatjohn) June 20, 2017
The new MAX 10 can hold up to 230 passengers and is 66 inches longer than its predecessor, the MAX 9. “The 737 MAX 10 will enable us to continue using larger and more efficient aircraft within our domestic network and better meet the needs of our customers,” United Chief Financial Officer Andrew Levy said.
— Edward Russell (@e_russell) June 20, 2017
The remaining 61 MAX orders will be the MAX 9 variant, and deliveries will begin in April 2019. United expects to begin taking deliveries of the MAX 10s in 2020. In addition to expanding its narrow-body fleet with the 737s, United also announced today that it’s ordering four additional 777-300ER aircraft, which will feature the carrier’s new Polaris business class.
Elsewhere at the Paris Air Show, United’s competitor Delta announced that it’s ordering an additional 10 Airbus A321 aircraft, increasing the number of A321s in its fleet to 122.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.