United Announces Major Increase in Service to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United announced today that it will significantly expand service on 11 routes from the mainland US to the Hawaiian Islands. Later this year, United will begin selling basic economy on these routes as well.
The airline, which now claims that it has more flights to Hawaii than any other carrier, will increase service from its hubs in Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles and San Francisco.
It already serves Hawaii from Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., plus Guam and Tokyo. Here are the routes that will be affected:
- Flights from Denver (DEN) to Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH) and Maui (OGG) will be changing from seasonal service to daily year-round flights starting December 20.
- Chicago (ORD) will see daily year-round flights (excluding Tuesdays and Wednesdays) to Maui (OGG) starting December 20.
- Los Angeles (LAX) may see the biggest increase in frequency, with more flights to Hilo (ITO), Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH) and Maui (OGG) beginning December 20.
- United will also add more departures from San Francisco (SFO) to Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH) and Maui (OGG) commencing December 20.
United also stated that it will consistently fly aircraft with lie-flat first-class seats on all overnight flights between Hawaii and Chicago, Denver, Houston, Newark and Washington D.C. Saks Fifth Avenue bedding, a component of United’s new Polaris business class soft product, will be featured on these flights as well.
Unfortunately, United recently eliminated complimentary upgrades on many of these routes, making it harder to fly up front for cheap. And, on routes operated by a 777-200, you’ll most likely end up with an especially narrow economy seat, at just 17 inches wide, making first class more appealing than ever.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees