United Announces Major Increase in Service to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United announced today that it will significantly expand service on 11 routes from the mainland US to the Hawaiian Islands. Later this year, United will begin selling basic economy on these routes as well.
The airline, which now claims that it has more flights to Hawaii than any other carrier, will increase service from its hubs in Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles and San Francisco.
It already serves Hawaii from Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., plus Guam and Tokyo. Here are the routes that will be affected:
- Flights from Denver (DEN) to Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH) and Maui (OGG) will be changing from seasonal service to daily year-round flights starting December 20.
- Chicago (ORD) will see daily year-round flights (excluding Tuesdays and Wednesdays) to Maui (OGG) starting December 20.
- Los Angeles (LAX) may see the biggest increase in frequency, with more flights to Hilo (ITO), Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH) and Maui (OGG) beginning December 20.
- United will also add more departures from San Francisco (SFO) to Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH) and Maui (OGG) commencing December 20.
United also stated that it will consistently fly aircraft with lie-flat first-class seats on all overnight flights between Hawaii and Chicago, Denver, Houston, Newark and Washington D.C. Saks Fifth Avenue bedding, a component of United’s new Polaris business class soft product, will be featured on these flights as well.
Unfortunately, United recently eliminated complimentary upgrades on many of these routes, making it harder to fly up front for cheap. And, on routes operated by a 777-200, you’ll most likely end up with an especially narrow economy seat, at just 17 inches wide, making first class more appealing than ever.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.