This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This the latest twist for the 82-year-old fish market, which sits on valuable real estate and has been slated to move since 2001. The major seafood trading hub will now be relocated to a specialty facility in Toyosu while the government cleans up and modernizes its original location — a process that may take up to five years. Once the upgrades — which include installing earthquake-resistant technology and refurbishing aging buildings — are complete, Koike indicated that Tsukiji may live on as a “food theme park” alongside the Toyosu location, where the wholesale fish market would continue to operate.
In the short term, the move could be disastrous for Tsukiji tourism; the new site is less accessible than the market’s current spot and is one of Tokyo’s most popular attractions. There are also signs that the fish sellers themselves are against a move: A report in March by Japan Times showed that more than 70% of wholesalers did not want to move to the Toyosu market, in large part due to fears that Toyosu, the former home of a gas plant, has contaminated soil — the government finished clearing contaminated soil in 2014.
What will ultimately become of the Tsukiji location is hardly clear. Koike did not elaborate on what she had in mind for a “food theme park” at her press conference detailing the move. Dreams of maki roller-coasters will have to stay dreams, it seems, for now.
Featured photo of Tsukiji Fish Market tuna auction courtesy of Tomohiro Ohsumi via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees