How to Transfer Amex Membership Rewards to Alaska Mileage Plan Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Virgin America shared a timeline that outlined when the airline will drop its partnerships, which indicates that Virgin and Alaska are another step closer to finalizing their merger process. One of the earliest steps in this process was the ability to convert your Virgin Elevate points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles. This presents an interesting, limited-time opportunity to convert your American Express Membership Rewards points to Alaska miles.
The first step is to log in to your Amex account. From there, transfer a select amount of Membership Rewards points to your Elevate account at a 2:1 ratio. While this might not seem to be the most valuable option upfront, the more lucrative transfer comes next.
After you’ve completed the initial transfer, you can then go to the special Alaska-Virgin transfer website to convert your Elevate points into Alaska miles at a 1 to 1.3 ratio.
Once you’ve completed this process, you will have successfully converted Amex Membership Rewards points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles at a 2 to 1.3 ratio. While you would be losing .67 cents per point according to TPG’s most recent valuations, this could be a great option if you’re just shy of the miles required for an award ticket. If you’re interested in this transfer opportunity, be sure to do it before October 31, 2017, which is the end date of the Virgin America and Membership Rewards partnership.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.