This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Virgin America shared a timeline that outlined when the airline will drop its partnerships, which indicates that Virgin and Alaska are another step closer to finalizing their merger process. One of the earliest steps in this process was the ability to convert your Virgin Elevate points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles. This presents an interesting, limited-time opportunity to convert your American Express Membership Rewards points to Alaska miles.
The first step is to log in to your Amex account. From there, transfer a select amount of Membership Rewards points to your Elevate account at a 2:1 ratio. While this might not seem to be the most valuable option upfront, the more lucrative transfer comes next.
After you’ve completed the initial transfer, you can then go to the special Alaska-Virgin transfer website to convert your Elevate points into Alaska miles at a 1 to 1.3 ratio.
Once you’ve completed this process, you will have successfully converted Amex Membership Rewards points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles at a 2 to 1.3 ratio. While you would be losing .67 cents per point according to TPG’s most recent valuations, this could be a great option if you’re just shy of the miles required for an award ticket. If you’re interested in this transfer opportunity, be sure to do it before October 31, 2017, which is the end date of the Virgin America and Membership Rewards partnership.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees