This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Virgin America shared a timeline that outlined when the airline will drop its partnerships, which indicates that Virgin and Alaska are another step closer to finalizing their merger process. One of the earliest steps in this process was the ability to convert your Virgin Elevate points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles. This presents an interesting, limited-time opportunity to convert your American Express Membership Rewards points to Alaska miles.
The first step is to log in to your Amex account. From there, transfer a select amount of Membership Rewards points to your Elevate account at a 2:1 ratio. While this might not seem to be the most valuable option upfront, the more lucrative transfer comes next.
After you’ve completed the initial transfer, you can then go to the special Alaska-Virgin transfer website to convert your Elevate points into Alaska miles at a 1 to 1.3 ratio.
Once you’ve completed this process, you will have successfully converted Amex Membership Rewards points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles at a 2 to 1.3 ratio. While you would be losing .67 cents per point according to TPG’s most recent valuations, this could be a great option if you’re just shy of the miles required for an award ticket. If you’re interested in this transfer opportunity, be sure to do it before October 31, 2017, which is the end date of the Virgin America and Membership Rewards partnership.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees