This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Virgin America shared a timeline that outlined when the airline will drop its partnerships, which indicates that Virgin and Alaska are another step closer to finalizing their merger process. One of the earliest steps in this process was the ability to convert your Virgin Elevate points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles. This presents an interesting, limited-time opportunity to convert your American Express Membership Rewards points to Alaska miles.
The first step is to log in to your Amex account. From there, transfer a select amount of Membership Rewards points to your Elevate account at a 2:1 ratio. While this might not seem to be the most valuable option upfront, the more lucrative transfer comes next.
After you’ve completed the initial transfer, you can then go to the special Alaska-Virgin transfer website to convert your Elevate points into Alaska miles at a 1 to 1.3 ratio.
Once you’ve completed this process, you will have successfully converted Amex Membership Rewards points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles at a 2 to 1.3 ratio. While you would be losing .67 cents per point according to TPG’s most recent valuations, this could be a great option if you’re just shy of the miles required for an award ticket. If you’re interested in this transfer opportunity, be sure to do it before October 31, 2017, which is the end date of the Virgin America and Membership Rewards partnership.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards