This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Virgin America shared a timeline that outlined when the airline will drop its partnerships, which indicates that Virgin and Alaska are another step closer to finalizing their merger process. One of the earliest steps in this process was the ability to convert your Virgin Elevate points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles. This presents an interesting, limited-time opportunity to convert your American Express Membership Rewards points to Alaska miles.
The first step is to log in to your Amex account. From there, transfer a select amount of Membership Rewards points to your Elevate account at a 2:1 ratio. While this might not seem to be the most valuable option upfront, the more lucrative transfer comes next.
After you’ve completed the initial transfer, you can then go to the special Alaska-Virgin transfer website to convert your Elevate points into Alaska miles at a 1 to 1.3 ratio.
Once you’ve completed this process, you will have successfully converted Amex Membership Rewards points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles at a 2 to 1.3 ratio. While you would be losing .67 cents per point according to TPG’s most recent valuations, this could be a great option if you’re just shy of the miles required for an award ticket. If you’re interested in this transfer opportunity, be sure to do it before October 31, 2017, which is the end date of the Virgin America and Membership Rewards partnership.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that