Supreme Court Allows Travel Ban to Partially Go Into Effect
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Supreme Court announced today that it’s going to review President Trump’s controversial travel ban policy, allowing it to go into partial effect as of 72 hours from now. According to the Associated Press, the justices will hear arguments on the travel ban in the fall.
The justices said that, for now (beginning in 72 hours), the ban can apply only to people who don’t have a “credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States.” Essentially, the travel ban will apply for individuals who have no relationship to someone in the US. “That includes people visiting a close family member, students who have been admitted to a university or workers who have accepted an employment offer,” the court said.
— Brad Heath (@bradheath) June 26, 2017
As a reminder, a revised travel ban was announced earlier this year and expires 90 days from Thursday (72 hours from now). It limits immigration from six countries — Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen — however, with the court’s announcement today, individuals with a close relationship to the US can continue to enter the country. Also, refugees with a US connection may be permitted to enter, as reported by Bloomberg.
The announcement from the Supreme Court today overturns the ruling of lower courts that blocked it from moving forward. According to Bloomberg, “Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorusch said they would have let the entire ban take effect immediately.” The travel ban will be allowed until the Supreme Court hears the case in October for its next term.
This is a developing story…
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.