A Look at the World’s Largest Plane
The Antonov held the title of world’s largest plane from 1988 until last week, when the “Stratolaunch” was unveiled.
Stratolaunch Systems, a company backed by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, rolled out the gargantuan aircraft at its hangar at the Mojave Air and Space Port in California, where construction of the aircraft began a few years back.
With a wingspan measuring 385 feet, Stratolaunch is the world’s largest aircraft by wingspan and the largest all-composite aircraft ever built. Powered by six Boeing 747 engines, the aircraft has a payload capacity of over 500,000 pounds and an operational range of about 2,000 nautical miles (about 2,300 miles).
In line with Allen’s goal of achieving convenient, reliable and routine access to low Earth orbit, Stratolaunch was designed to launch medium-sized payloads using a version of SpaceX‘s Falcon 9 rocket. The partnership, however, didn’t last long, with both companies parting ways just a little over a year later. For now, Stratolaunch Systems is focused on the growing demand for small satellites, partnering with Orbital ATK to launch up to three Pegasus XL rockets between the two fuselages.
“This marks the completion of the initial aircraft construction phase and the beginning of the aircraft ground and flight testing phase,” said Jean Floyd, Chief Executive of Stratolaunch Systems, in a statement about the rollout. According to the company, the program is expected to perform its first launch demonstration in 2019.
Who else is as excited as we are to see this thing fly?
Featured image courtesy of Stratolaunch Systems.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees