Snapchat Wants To Help You Find Your Next Vacation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Snapchat took the world by storm when it allowed users to augment their world through its playful puppy filters. Now, the social media platform wants to inspire travelers looking for their next real-world destination with its new “Snap Maps” feature. Accessible by pinching out from Snapchat’s main camera, the feature lets you see where your friends are, what complete strangers are “Snapping” and provides glimpses of events happening around the world.
You’ll be able to spot where your friends are when they have the app open and also see high concentrations of where Snaps are being sent. If there’s a special event — like Pride in New York City — it will show the location of the parade as a featured bubble on its heat map.
It seems to be an extension of last year’s “Discover” feature, which allowed users to submit and search for crowd-sourced stories on events like parades and holiday celebrations. The map, which basically looks like a cartoon-ish version of Google Maps, creates a more visually appealing way to understand where the stories are getting submitted from.
While Snapchat admits maps aren’t a new concept, it claims to have reinvented the context of it. “It’s not about figuring out how to get to your destination, but about discovering where you want to go,” Snap product designer, Jack Brody, told Refinery29.
Think of it as window-shopping for your next vacation. On the map, you can go to any location in the world — Paris, for example — and see what people in that location are snapping.
The next time you catch a serious case of wanderlust, you can use Snap Maps to scope out your next vacation spot — or simply satisfy it from the comfort of your couch. Interested in following along with TPG on all his travel adventures? Follow him on Snapchat or scan his “Snapcode” via the app here:
All Photos Courtesy of the Author
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.