Snapchat Wants To Help You Find Your Next Vacation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Snapchat took the world by storm when it allowed users to augment their world through its playful puppy filters. Now, the social media platform wants to inspire travelers looking for their next real-world destination with its new “Snap Maps” feature. Accessible by pinching out from Snapchat’s main camera, the feature lets you see where your friends are, what complete strangers are “Snapping” and provides glimpses of events happening around the world.
You’ll be able to spot where your friends are when they have the app open and also see high concentrations of where Snaps are being sent. If there’s a special event — like Pride in New York City — it will show the location of the parade as a featured bubble on its heat map.
It seems to be an extension of last year’s “Discover” feature, which allowed users to submit and search for crowd-sourced stories on events like parades and holiday celebrations. The map, which basically looks like a cartoon-ish version of Google Maps, creates a more visually appealing way to understand where the stories are getting submitted from.
While Snapchat admits maps aren’t a new concept, it claims to have reinvented the context of it. “It’s not about figuring out how to get to your destination, but about discovering where you want to go,” Snap product designer, Jack Brody, told Refinery29.
Think of it as window-shopping for your next vacation. On the map, you can go to any location in the world — Paris, for example — and see what people in that location are snapping.
Basically, you can explore snaps of landmarks like the Eiffel Tower or the Empire State Building and see what it would look like if you were actually there.
The next time you catch a serious case of wanderlust, you can use Snap Maps to scope out your next vacation spot — or simply satisfy it from the comfort of your couch. Interested in following along with TPG on all his travel adventures? Follow him on Snapchat or scan his “Snapcode” via the app here:
All Photos Courtesy of the Author
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees