New App Aims to Speed Up Immigration at Dubai International
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a citizen of the UAE or resident of Dubai, there’s a new app that can make the immigrations process at Dubai International (DXB) a little quicker and easier.
The ‘UAE Wallet’ app allows qualifying passengers to use their personal smartphone as a passport. Once downloaded, users can enter basic passenger information like their ID and passport details into the app. At the airport, a barcode within the app is scanned along with your fingerprint so that you can pass through the airport’s “smart gates.”
The project is expected to reduce the departure clearance time to around 9 to 12 seconds per passenger, according to Gulf News. For now, the app can only be used by Emirates passengers departing from Terminal 3, but it’ll be operational in all terminals once it’s compatible with other airlines.
The app is part of a growing trend among governments transitioning away from the traditional paper format in an attempt to expedite the immigrations process. Last year, the US Customers and Border Protection released Mobile Passport, which allows travelers to pass through immigration with a unique QR code.
As with all things new and digital, there’s room for error. We suggest you bring a physical passport in your carry-on — just in case.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.