The World’s Best Airport is Getting a $1.7 Billion Expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While airports are generally seen as being a means to an end — something that will get me from one place to another — one airport’s upcoming expansion is aimed at making it a destination unto itself.
Singapore’s Changi Airport (SIN), which was recently deemed the World’s Best Airport in the World Airport Awards, is undertaking incredible measures to retain its title. At the center of its plans is the $1.7 billion Jewel complex that’s scheduled to open in 2019. The 1.4 million square-foot facility will include a hotel, an amusement park, an indoor waterfall and hundreds of opportunities for passengers to dine and shop — in all, it’ll be 10 levels, with the lower half being located underground.
The upper levels will be home to Canopy Park, a nature-inspired amusement park featuring gardens, walking trails and dining outlets.
A 131-foot waterfall called the Rain Vortex will anchor the center of the complex and is expected to be the world’s tallest indoor waterfall.
Visitors in transit between the airport’s terminals will have the opportunity to walk across bouncy nets suspended three floors above the Canopy Park attraction.
A set of mazes — one made of hedges, the other comprised of a series of mirrors — will allow visitors to pass the time exploring.
The Jewel complex is strategically located at the heart of the airport with Terminals 1 to 3 surrounding it. It’ll be interesting to see how many people book flights through SIN just to have a look. I know we’re already thinking about it.
All images courtesy of Singapore Changi Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.