This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While airports are generally seen as being a means to an end — something that will get me from one place to another — one airport’s upcoming expansion is aimed at making it a destination unto itself.
Singapore’s Changi Airport (SIN), which was recently deemed the World’s Best Airport in the World Airport Awards, is undertaking incredible measures to retain its title. At the center of its plans is the $1.7 billion Jewel complex that’s scheduled to open in 2019. The 1.4 million square-foot facility will include a hotel, an amusement park, an indoor waterfall and hundreds of opportunities for passengers to dine and shop — in all, it’ll be 10 levels, with the lower half being located underground.
The upper levels will be home to Canopy Park, a nature-inspired amusement park featuring gardens, walking trails and dining outlets.
A 131-foot waterfall called the Rain Vortex will anchor the center of the complex and is expected to be the world’s tallest indoor waterfall.
Visitors in transit between the airport’s terminals will have the opportunity to walk across bouncy nets suspended three floors above the Canopy Park attraction.
A set of mazes — one made of hedges, the other comprised of a series of mirrors — will allow visitors to pass the time exploring.
The Jewel complex is strategically located at the heart of the airport with Terminals 1 to 3 surrounding it. It’ll be interesting to see how many people book flights through SIN just to have a look. I know we’re already thinking about it.
All images courtesy of Singapore Changi Airport.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees