The World’s Best Airport is Getting a $1.7 Billion Expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While airports are generally seen as being a means to an end — something that will get me from one place to another — one airport’s upcoming expansion is aimed at making it a destination unto itself.
Singapore’s Changi Airport (SIN), which was recently deemed the World’s Best Airport in the World Airport Awards, is undertaking incredible measures to retain its title. At the center of its plans is the $1.7 billion Jewel complex that’s scheduled to open in 2019. The 1.4 million square-foot facility will include a hotel, an amusement park, an indoor waterfall and hundreds of opportunities for passengers to dine and shop — in all, it’ll be 10 levels, with the lower half being located underground.
The upper levels will be home to Canopy Park, a nature-inspired amusement park featuring gardens, walking trails and dining outlets.
A 131-foot waterfall called the Rain Vortex will anchor the center of the complex and is expected to be the world’s tallest indoor waterfall.
Visitors in transit between the airport’s terminals will have the opportunity to walk across bouncy nets suspended three floors above the Canopy Park attraction.
A set of mazes — one made of hedges, the other comprised of a series of mirrors — will allow visitors to pass the time exploring.
The Jewel complex is strategically located at the heart of the airport with Terminals 1 to 3 surrounding it. It’ll be interesting to see how many people book flights through SIN just to have a look. I know we’re already thinking about it.
All images courtesy of Singapore Changi Airport.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee