How Sharks Could Save Airlines Millions of Dollars a Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sharks are one of nature’s most fascinating creatures. Sitting atop the oceanic food chain, they seemingly glide through the water effortlessly. Their bodies and scales are so efficient that they’ve recently been studied by aircraft manufacturers with the hopes of improving plane designs.
At the ZAL Center of Applied Aeronautical Research in Hamburg, Airbus partnered with Lufthansa Technik, the maintenance business of Lufthansa Airlines. The two companies worked together to develop a way to have robots apply a texture modeled from sharkskin to the exterior of aircraft.
The sharkskin texture was found to reduce airflow resistance (drag), thereby decreasing fuel consumption. The applied texture reduced drag by 1%. That may not seem like a lot, but Lufthansa said it would save 55 million euros for its fleet alone, along with reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 200,000 tonnes annually. Now consider how environmentally beneficial it would be if every aircraft had this texture.
Sharkskin has a texture called dermal denticles, meaning the scales have a tooth-like shape. The denticles create what’s called a leading edge low pressure zone, which reduces drag, kind of like the reason golf balls have all of those little dimples.
With the “FAMOS” method, the wing surface is embossed with a special paint, developed by Airbus and suppliers, and then cured with UV light. “FAMOS” is an acronym for a German product name meaning “Guidance System for Automated Application of Multifunctional Surface Structures.”
Lufthansa began working on this project in 2011, first using it on two of its Airbus A340 aircraft. The partnership benefits both Lufthansa Technik and Airbus, in terms of both the robotic technology and the fuel savings for aircraft. Sharkskin technology has also been used in swimsuits for competitive swimmers, notably in the 2008 Summer Olympics, where several athletes set Olympic and World Records. One particular Speedo suit ended up being banned for the advantages it gave to swimmers.
Featured image by Dave J Hogan / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees