A Transatlantic 737 Flight, Doha’s Eerily Empty Airport, Another Basic Economy Expansion and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
TPG Editorial Director James Cury had the chance to fly Norwegian’s inaugural flight between New York (SWF) and Edinburgh (EDI). Follow along to see what it was like to fly in a Boeing 737 across the Atlantic.
Read about one TPG Contributor’s experience transiting through Doha’s Hamad International Airport (DOH) in the middle of the political chaos in the region that’s resulted in Qatar being isolated from its neighbors.
Last month, American Airlines shared the details of a plan to reduce seat pitch in its upcoming Boeing 737 MAX aircraft to just 29 inches for 18 unlucky passengers and 30 inches for the rest of those seated in economy. Now, however, the airline has reversed course on that decision and has said that all economy seats will feature at least 30 inches of pitch.
This week we learned that United will be rolling out its dreadful basic economy product on flights to Hawaii and Latin America later this year.
The world recently got its first look at an almost-complete Delta A350 — the twin-engine jet rolled out of the Airbus paint shop in Toulouse, France on Tuesday spotting the carrier’s signature blue and red livery.
The invasion of basic economy seats continues with American Airlines adding 25 international routes between the US and Canada that will “feature” basic economy seats.
The Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills is one of the most anticipated hotels of 2017 — check out our first look of the property here.
In other news…
You Can Now Purchase Preferred Seats When Traveling on a SAAver Award Ticket
American Airlines now allows those who are traveling on a SAAver award ticket to purchase upgrades to a preferred or Main Cabin Extra seat, which wasn’t possible before.
Lufthansa Shifting A380s From Frankfurt to Munich
Lufthansa is moving five of its 14 A380s from its home base in Frankfurt (FRA) to its other hub in Munich (MUC). The German carrier is reportedly feuding with the airport operator in Frankfurt, which could be an explanation for the move.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees