Ryanair Improves… By Adding a 60 Day Check-In Window?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you missed it, Ryanair is in the midst of a multi-year “Always Getting Better” program. Some improvements that Ryanair is promoting from the initiative:
- Connecting flights at Rome Fiumicino
- Air Europa long-haul flights on sale on the Ryanair website
- A new partnership with the Erasmus Student Network offering student discounts
- An enhanced Ryanair Rooms website offering an even wider choice of accommodation options
- The roll out of Ryanair Holidays to Italy and Spain
Now, Ryanair is back with another one: check in up to 60 days prior to your flight. Nope, there’s not an extra zero after that six. Starting today, June 1, Ryanair will let certain passengers check in for their flight up to sixty days in advance.
There’s a catch. You can only check in more than two moon cycles ahead of your flight if you’ve paid to reserve your seat in advance. Otherwise, you’re only allowed to check-in between four days and two hours before your flight.
But, let’s be serious: Where are you going to find the time? That’s a check-in window of a mere 5,640 minutes rather than the much-more generous 86,280 minutes.
This announcement has us scratching our heads. Why would anyone need to check in 60 days in advance? While there’s a €50/£50 fee for checking in at the airport, you can still check in online or through the app up to two hours before departure.
Perhaps you want a printout of your boarding pass and won’t have access to a printer for 59 days — and don’t want to rely on your friends to print it for you. After all, the €15/£15 “boarding card re-issue fee” can end up costing more than some Ryanair fares.
There’s no word yet if potential alliance members easyJet and Norwegian will follow Ryanair’s lead.
Is June 1 the new April 1?
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees