Citi Cuts Earnings for Some Gas Purchases With the ThankYou Premier Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Citi Premier Card
Citi is changing up the ThankYou point earning structure just a little bit on the Citi Premier Card. TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig received a letter in the mail from Citi explaining that the 3x points on travel earning was set to change for some purchases.
Beginning July 22, 2017, gas purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores will earn just 1 point per dollar. Prior to this change, all gas purchases fell under the card’s category of earning 3x points on travel purchases. So, this small change excludes gas purchases from select retailers from earning the category bonus.
This change isn’t drastic enough to alter the value of the card — there are still plenty of fantastic ThankYou point-earning opportunities to take advantage of. In this letter, Citi also detailed that an error caused some gas purchases made at convenience stores between November 15, 2015, and now to earn just 1x point. During that time, if you made (or will make) a gas purchase at a convenience store through July 21, 2017, you’ll receive an additional 2x points for every dollar spent. The additional points will post on your September or October 2017 statement.
As a reminder, the Citi Premier Card currently comes with a sign-up bonus of 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first three months. With the card, you’ll earn 3x points on travel purchases, 2x points on dining and entertainment and 1x points on all other purchases. There are no foreign transaction fees and a $95 annual fee (waived for the first 12 months).
Featured image courtesy of Mongkol Chuewong via Getty Images.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee