New ‘Neighbour-Free Seat’ Option Lets Etihad Economy Passengers Bid on Empty Seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad Airways has said that it’s going to allow economy passengers to bid for the luxury of having open seats next to them. The new option, which the Abu Dhabi-based carrier is calling “Neighbour-Free Seat,” gives economy passengers the option to bid for up to three empty seats around them. Because, at the end of the day, if you’re sitting in economy, sitting next to empty seats is about as good as it gets.
To get an empty seat — or a few — next to you, you’ll start the bidding at the time of booking on Etihad’s website. There’s a minimum and a maximum bid for each seat, and Etihad Guest members will get priority over non members. If your bid is unsuccessful, you’ll get an email within 32 hours of departure letting you know that you’ll have neighbor(s). If your bid is indeed successful, you’ll get an email from Etihad and you’ll automatically be assigned a set — there’s no choice involved. At this point, there’s no indication as to how much the bids will start at.With the Neighbour-Free Seat option, you can bid on one, two or three seats. In order to be eligible, you must have a confirmed ticket that starts with the numbers 607. In addition, “deals” fares, Guest Seat rewards, redemption tickets, group bookings, free tickets, tickets already upgraded using miles, multi-flyer tickets and tickets with an infant aren’t eligible to bid on the Neighbour-Free Seat. To see the full terms and conditions of the Neighbour-Free Seat option, check out Etihad’s website.
The ability for passengers to potentially create a more comfortable flying experience for themselves is a win, and the ability for Etihad to make use of unsold seats is a win for the carrier. Even though it announced that it’s doing away with complimentary chauffeur service for its premium passengers on select routes, Etihad is giving economy passengers a way to make their trip more comfortable. Air New Zealand offers a very similar product with its Skycouch, a set of three seats with leg rests that swing up to create a bed or couch in the sky. While the couple extra seats might not be as nice as The Residence — or The Apartment — it’s vastly better than being cramped next to several snoring neighbors.
Featured image courtesy of Katie Genter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees