Watch a Long-Haul Flight Take to the Skies in This New Doc
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Find out what life above the clouds is really like for cabin crews with Secret Life Of The Long Haul Flight, a new British documentary that follows a Qantas Airlines flight from London to Sydney — with a stopover in Dubai. The hour-long short film, which premiered in Britain last Friday, offers a taste of the many challenges that go into orchestrating both legs of this 22-hour-total journey. For the flight’s diligent crew, much of those demands come from keeping everything running smoothly. Flight attendants film each other as they go about their duties, from inspecting the bathrooms every 30 minutes to cooking almost-presentable eggs.
Viewers will also get an answer to one of the more common long-haul flight questions out there: Where does the crew sleep? (Spoiler alert: For this Qantas crew, that place is under the stairs in 12 tiny — and chilly — bunks.)
But the documentary doesn’t stop at the flight crew; it takes a hard look look into nearly every stage of the flight. The audience gets a whirlwind tour of Qantas’ international fight control center and some insight from the ground crew as they load the plane’s belly chock-full of goods. Airline veterinarians even give a behind-the-scenes glimpse into pre-flight check-ups given to every pet onboard.
In-flight dining fans will also appreciate the deep-dive into the preparation of airline cuisine. Australian celebrity chef Neil Perry gets credit for Qantas’ menu, and he tells the audience that his goal is to create dishes that outdo airline food’s less-than-stellar reputation.
Secret Life Of The Long Haul Flight depicts so much more about the nearly day-long flight, and if you have the time to spare, do give it a look. It might not top actual flying, but it’ll make you appreciate your next long-haul journey all the more.
H/T: The Guardian
Featured screenshot taken from “Secret Life of the Long-Haul Flight.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees