Watch a Long-Haul Flight Take to the Skies in This New Doc
Find out what life above the clouds is really like for cabin crews with Secret Life Of The Long Haul Flight, a new British documentary that follows a Qantas Airlines flight from London to Sydney — with a stopover in Dubai. The hour-long short film, which premiered in Britain last Friday, offers a taste of the many challenges that go into orchestrating both legs of this 22-hour-total journey. For the flight’s diligent crew, much of those demands come from keeping everything running smoothly. Flight attendants film each other as they go about their duties, from inspecting the bathrooms every 30 minutes to cooking almost-presentable eggs.
Viewers will also get an answer to one of the more common long-haul flight questions out there: Where does the crew sleep? (Spoiler alert: For this Qantas crew, that place is under the stairs in 12 tiny — and chilly — bunks.)
But the documentary doesn’t stop at the flight crew; it takes a hard look look into nearly every stage of the flight. The audience gets a whirlwind tour of Qantas’ international fight control center and some insight from the ground crew as they load the plane’s belly chock-full of goods. Airline veterinarians even give a behind-the-scenes glimpse into pre-flight check-ups given to every pet onboard.
In-flight dining fans will also appreciate the deep-dive into the preparation of airline cuisine. Australian celebrity chef Neil Perry gets credit for Qantas’ menu, and he tells the audience that his goal is to create dishes that outdo airline food’s less-than-stellar reputation.
Secret Life Of The Long Haul Flight depicts so much more about the nearly day-long flight, and if you have the time to spare, do give it a look. It might not top actual flying, but it’ll make you appreciate your next long-haul journey all the more.
H/T: The Guardian
Featured screenshot taken from “Secret Life of the Long-Haul Flight.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.