Inside the First Airbus A321neo, the Plane JetBlue May Fly to Europe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing has the 737 MAX 10 (as of yesterday), and Airbus has the A321neo. Both next-generation aircraft are designed for medium-haul travel, and, with some modifications, can operate select long(ish)-haul flights, including East Coast to parts of Western Europe.
That’s where JetBlue comes in — the airline currently operates a fleet of Airbus A320 and A321 aircraft, but executives are considering adding a long-range version of the A321neo, which would then be used to operate flights to Europe. At the Paris Air Show today, I got a look at that brand-new Airbus model.
Cabin and Test Equipment
Like most of the other aircraft I had an opportunity to photograph at Le Bourget, the A321neo hasn’t yet been outfitted with passenger seating (other than a few extra extra legroom seats for technicians to use during test flights).
Instead, there’s loads of test equipment.
In this case, Airbus has filled the aircraft with ballast tanks, allowing crews to adjust the weight and balance as they work through the testing process.
There are also cameras mounted throughout — the one below is pointed at the wing.
It’s clear that Airbus won’t be increasing the size of the windows — they’re still awfully small, especially compared to those on the Bombardier CSeries, which are a whopping 50% larger than what you see below.
It’s more or less impossible to get a feel for the plane’s aesthetic improvements when it’s in this state, but once Airspace launches on the A320 series, we could be in for a much more comfortable (and stylish) ride. As for JetBlue’s plans — could this plane one day offer Mint service to Europe? At this point, the only thing we can do is hope.
See these posts for more from the Paris Air Show:
- Inside Airbus’ (Empty) A380plus Double-Decker Airliner
- Airbus Plans to Refresh A320 Cabins in 2020
- Video Tour: Qatar Airways’ Brand-New Qsuite Business Class
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees