This ‘Hyperloop Hotel’ Would Let You Travel Between 13 Cities — Without Leaving Your Room
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new concept hotel would allow guests to travel between 13 properties throughout the United States in a matter of hours — without ever leaving their room. Brandon Siebrecht, a student at the University of Nevada, drew up the winning concept for the 2017 Radical Innovation Award, which encourages participants to come up with disruptive ideas that cater to the hospitality industry.
The idea? Rather than hopping on a train or sitting in basic economy, the futuristic “Hyperloop Hotel” would link modular hotel rooms in New York City, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Nashville, Austin, Chicago, Santa Fe, Denver, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle via the hyperloop transportation system.
Initially introduced by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the hyperloop comprises of pod-like vehicles traveling through a reduced-pressure tube, potentially exceeding the speed of a modern airplane. While the project is still largely conceptual, a company called Hyperloop One claims a working version of the system would be available as early as 2020.
The hotel — the cost of which Siebrecht estimates at around $10 million each to build (depending on the location) — would allow unlimited travel between cities using the hyperloop system at a rate of $1,200 a day. Each room, comprising of re-purposed shipping containers, would include a living room, bedroom and bathroom, along with luxury amenities.
“I believe the Hyperloop One is the next big innovation in transportation in the United States and possibly the world. I wanted to explore ways in which this technology could transform the overall travel experience and hospitality,” Siebrecht told Business Insider. “Guests would be able to travel to any hotel destination within the network and even visit multiple destinations in a single day.”
Would you check into a “Hyperloop” Hotel? Let us know in the comments, below.
All images courtesy of Brandon Siebrecht and Radical Innovation.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees