This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new concept hotel would allow guests to travel between 13 properties throughout the United States in a matter of hours — without ever leaving their room. Brandon Siebrecht, a student at the University of Nevada, drew up the winning concept for the 2017 Radical Innovation Award, which encourages participants to come up with disruptive ideas that cater to the hospitality industry.
The idea? Rather than hopping on a train or sitting in basic economy, the futuristic “Hyperloop Hotel” would link modular hotel rooms in New York City, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Nashville, Austin, Chicago, Santa Fe, Denver, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle via the hyperloop transportation system.
Initially introduced by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the hyperloop comprises of pod-like vehicles traveling through a reduced-pressure tube, potentially exceeding the speed of a modern airplane. While the project is still largely conceptual, a company called Hyperloop One claims a working version of the system would be available as early as 2020.
The hotel — the cost of which Siebrecht estimates at around $10 million each to build (depending on the location) — would allow unlimited travel between cities using the hyperloop system at a rate of $1,200 a day. Each room, comprising of re-purposed shipping containers, would include a living room, bedroom and bathroom, along with luxury amenities.
“I believe the Hyperloop One is the next big innovation in transportation in the United States and possibly the world. I wanted to explore ways in which this technology could transform the overall travel experience and hospitality,” Siebrecht told Business Insider. “Guests would be able to travel to any hotel destination within the network and even visit multiple destinations in a single day.”
Would you check into a “Hyperloop” Hotel? Let us know in the comments, below.
All images courtesy of Brandon Siebrecht and Radical Innovation.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees