This ‘Hyperloop Hotel’ Would Let You Travel Between 13 Cities — Without Leaving Your Room
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new concept hotel would allow guests to travel between 13 properties throughout the United States in a matter of hours — without ever leaving their room. Brandon Siebrecht, a student at the University of Nevada, drew up the winning concept for the 2017 Radical Innovation Award, which encourages participants to come up with disruptive ideas that cater to the hospitality industry.
The idea? Rather than hopping on a train or sitting in basic economy, the futuristic “Hyperloop Hotel” would link modular hotel rooms in New York City, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Nashville, Austin, Chicago, Santa Fe, Denver, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle via the hyperloop transportation system.
Initially introduced by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the hyperloop comprises of pod-like vehicles traveling through a reduced-pressure tube, potentially exceeding the speed of a modern airplane. While the project is still largely conceptual, a company called Hyperloop One claims a working version of the system would be available as early as 2020.
The hotel — the cost of which Siebrecht estimates at around $10 million each to build (depending on the location) — would allow unlimited travel between cities using the hyperloop system at a rate of $1,200 a day. Each room, comprising of re-purposed shipping containers, would include a living room, bedroom and bathroom, along with luxury amenities.
“I believe the Hyperloop One is the next big innovation in transportation in the United States and possibly the world. I wanted to explore ways in which this technology could transform the overall travel experience and hospitality,” Siebrecht told Business Insider. “Guests would be able to travel to any hotel destination within the network and even visit multiple destinations in a single day.”
Would you check into a “Hyperloop” Hotel? Let us know in the comments, below.
All images courtesy of Brandon Siebrecht and Radical Innovation.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.