Hotel Rooms May Soon Come Equipped With Digital Assistants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For voice-activated virtual assistants like Apple’s Siri and Amazon’s Alexa, hotels are the next frontier. Best Western became the latest hotel chain to consider deploying digital assistants with the announcement that it was testing the wildly popular tech in select hotels. Best Western CEO David Kong told Skift that the Dot, which runs on Amazon’s Alexa software, could help guests access various hotel services.
“If you think about the capabilities of a Dot, not only can you leave a wake-up call, have it playing music, or tell you the time, but you can use that to communicate with hotels, right? You can order your room service from that. You can report something that’s not working, and the staff can use that too,” Kong said. The company worked with Runtriz to develop a test pilot which is currently rolling out in a dozen properties.
Best Western isn’t the only hotel to experiment with voice-activated assistants; Wynn Las Vegas has been installing Amazon Echo units in its rooms since late 2016, allowing guests to change music and television stations (among other things) by voice. Marriott, too, is weighing digital assistants, and has already installed Echo in a number of rooms. Their guests have been able to use the tech to do everything from dimming the lights in the room to ordering room service.
Perhaps the biggest decision these brands must make is whether to integrate personal data into the experience. Digital assistants personalize their performance around the user’s data, and if guests are able to log in to their hotel room systems they could have an even more individualized experience. Whether guests will be willing to plug in that info is another question entirely.
Featured image courtesy of Guillermo Fernandes via Flickr
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees