UberBOAT: Island-Hopping in Croatia Just Got Easier
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The next time you find yourself near the Croatian waterfront, don’t be surprised to see boats sporting the four-letter word that’s synonymous with taxis and cheap fares: Uber. Despite the recent controversies, the company is back in the news again — this time for a really cool reason. Starting June 26, users of the popular ride-share app can request UberBOAT, an on-demand boat service in Croatia. With 1,200 islands to explore, there’s no better reason for Uber to launch this service in the country that was recently named by The New York Times as the hottest destination to visit this summer.
UberBOAT offers two types of service: airport transfers from or adventures out at sea. The first transports passengers from Split — or Divulje, where the airport is located — to the resort town of Hvar, famed for its large number of rocky beaches and ancient seaside villages. Upon requesting a pick-up, the mobile app will direct users from the arrival hall to the closest pick-up point where you’ll meet with your skipper, life jacket and bottled water in hand. Two boat sizes are available — the standard size that sits eight passengers for $395 or the larger XL-sized vessel that accommodates 12 passengers for $493.
The second option is marketed as an “adventure,” which allows intrepid travelers to hire a boat for half- or full-day trips to explore the adjacent islands — or simply cruise down the magnificent coastline. A full day at sea will cost about $1,100; the exact amount is determined based on duration and distance traveled — not so different from an Uber ride on land.
As with hailing an UberX or UberXL automobile stateside, users will be able to book a speedboat ride with a few clicks of a smartphone. Uber’s “split fare” feature (pun fully intended) is also available, allowing customers the option to divide the trip fare equally between travel companions.
Despite claims of Uber heavily disrupting the taxi economy, a recent study by Oxford Martin School’s Carl Benedikt Frey found that “Uber has created more jobs than it has destroyed,” with employment rising not just in self-employed drivers, but also in traditional taxi services. As the number of users steadily grows, the innovation-driven company has continued to diversify its business offerings, dabbling its toes in food delivery, self-driving cars, on-demand helicopter service — and now UberBOAT.
So, who’s interested to try this out? Sound off below.
H/T: Croatia Week
All images courtesy of Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.