This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad announced it’s eliminating a beloved perk flyers have gotten accustomed to when traveling in the carrier’s premium classes: the chauffeur service. Effective July 3, 2017, Etihad will no longer offer this complimentary service for its premium passengers in all of its markets with the exception of destinations within the UAE. As a replacement, passengers will be able to buy the chauffeur service at specially negotiated rates in cities other than Abu Dhabi.
If you’ve already booked a first or business-class ticket with Etihad (or are planning to within the next few days) and were/are looking forward to the chauffeur service, Etihad is still honoring the perk for tickets issued prior to July 3, 2017. In addition, the carrier is making the option to pay for the service available to all passengers, regardless of class of service. For a price, even economy passengers can get a taste of the luxury Etihad is known to provide. There’s no word on exact pricing, but it’ll likely differ based on the city.
Etihad’s reasoning behind the change somewhat puts the blame on the passenger, noting that there isn’t enough demand for the chauffeur service. “Many customers prefer to make their own ground transportation arrangements,” said Mohammad Al Bulooki, executive vice president commercial for Etihad. “The decision by Etihad Airways to change its offering has been taken to provide increased choice and to ensure fares remain as low and as competitive as possible, while retaining best-in-class service for all guests, in all cabins.”
On the positive side, if you choose to buy the chauffeur service, you’ll earn Etihad miles for your purchase. And don’t worry if you want to fly on The Residence — the service will continued to be offered at all Etihad A380 destinations (Abu Dhabi, London, Paris, Sydney and New York). Check out the video of TPG flying The Residence with chauffeur service in the video below:
H/T: Live from a Lounge
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees