Etihad Dropping Complimentary Chauffeur Service for Premium Passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad announced it’s eliminating a beloved perk flyers have gotten accustomed to when traveling in the carrier’s premium classes: the chauffeur service. Effective July 3, 2017, Etihad will no longer offer this complimentary service for its premium passengers in all of its markets with the exception of destinations within the UAE. As a replacement, passengers will be able to buy the chauffeur service at specially negotiated rates in cities other than Abu Dhabi.
If you’ve already booked a first or business-class ticket with Etihad (or are planning to within the next few days) and were/are looking forward to the chauffeur service, Etihad is still honoring the perk for tickets issued prior to July 3, 2017. In addition, the carrier is making the option to pay for the service available to all passengers, regardless of class of service. For a price, even economy passengers can get a taste of the luxury Etihad is known to provide. There’s no word on exact pricing, but it’ll likely differ based on the city.
Etihad’s reasoning behind the change somewhat puts the blame on the passenger, noting that there isn’t enough demand for the chauffeur service. “Many customers prefer to make their own ground transportation arrangements,” said Mohammad Al Bulooki, executive vice president commercial for Etihad. “The decision by Etihad Airways to change its offering has been taken to provide increased choice and to ensure fares remain as low and as competitive as possible, while retaining best-in-class service for all guests, in all cabins.”
On the positive side, if you choose to buy the chauffeur service, you’ll earn Etihad miles for your purchase. And don’t worry if you want to fly on The Residence — the service will continued to be offered at all Etihad A380 destinations (Abu Dhabi, London, Paris, Sydney and New York). Check out the video of TPG flying The Residence with chauffeur service in the video below:
H/T: Live from a Lounge
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.