Deal Alert: Premium Economy to Singapore From $1,086 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If Singapore has long been on your mind — as are thoughts of sitting in economy for hours and hours — then this is the deal for you. China Airlines is in the middle of an impressive sale (brought to our attention by TPG reader, Vidit), on its premium economy cabin. Right now you can find flights from multiple US cities — including New York (JFK), San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX) and Canadian city Vancouver (YVR) — to Singapore (SIN) for as low as $1,086 round-trip.
That’s a great price on premium economy to Southeast Asia, but there’s a bonus that takes this deal up a notch. You’ll have one short stop in Taipei (TPE) on these itineraries, and then for the leg from Taipei to Singapore, you’ll be seated in business class on China Air’s Airbus A350, which is the airline’s newest plane. On top of that, if you’re departing from New York, the leg from the US to Taipei is on the carrier’s 777-300ER, which features 39″ of legroom and 120 degrees of recline in the premium economy cabin seats.
You’ll find wide availability for this deal between August 2017 and May 2018, except for the month of December. Departures are available from Monday through Thursday and most of these fares have no minimum stay requirement. Google Flights will price these itineraries slightly higher, but just use it as a search engine to find the dates you want — then click through to book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with China Airlines — and you should see the lower final price.
China Airlines is a member of SkyTeam, so you can credit these flights to Delta SkyMiles and earn 100% of flown redeemable miles, 75% of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 20% of Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) — based on the premium economy fare class. For the JFK-TPE-SIN round-trip routing from New York, that should result in 19,609 SkyMiles, 14,707 MQMs and an impressive $3,922 MQDs.
Airline: China Airlines
Routes: JFK/SFO/LAX/YVR to SIN
Cost: $1,086+ round-trip in premium economy (TPE-SIN leg in business)
Dates: September 2017 through May 2018 (excluding December)
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Singapore (SIN) in premium economy/business for $1,086 round-trip via Expedia:
San Francisco (SFO) to Singapore (SIN) in premium economy/business for $1,276 round-trip via Expedia:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) in premium economy/business for $1,324 round-trip via Expedia:
Vancouver (YVR) to Singapore (SIN) in premium economy/business for CA$1,515 (~US$1,142) round-trip via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: TPG Reader Vidit
Featured image courtesy of Anupong Sonprom/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.