Millions of Americans’ Credit Scores May Increase on Saturday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning July 1, some Americans’ credit scores may increase by as much as 20 points. Effective Saturday, the three major credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion — will reevaluate two pieces of information that have, in the past, negatively impacted credit scores. Tax liens and civil judgments will no longer leave a blemish on your credit score.
According to a report by FICO, about 7% of the population, or about 11 million people, will have a judgment or lien removed from their report. For those who will see their scores rise following this change, it could be by up to 20 points.
Remember that there are quite a few ways you can check your credit score for free. Many credit card issuers, such as American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, Citi and Discover allow you to check your credit score for free as a cardholder. And if you’re not a cardholder, Discover, Capital One and Chase allow anyone to enroll in their programs and check their scores for free.
Beginning this Saturday, July 1, quite a few Americans will be pleased to see their credit scores increase — even if it’s just by a few points. With credit scores, every point counts, so the possibility of an additional 20 points is great news for those who have seen their scores decrease because of liens or judgments.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees