This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning July 1, some Americans’ credit scores may increase by as much as 20 points. Effective Saturday, the three major credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion — will reevaluate two pieces of information that have, in the past, negatively impacted credit scores. Tax liens and civil judgments will no longer leave a blemish on your credit score.
According to a report by FICO, about 7% of the population, or about 11 million people, will have a judgment or lien removed from their report. For those who will see their scores rise following this change, it could be by up to 20 points.
Remember that there are quite a few ways you can check your credit score for free. Many credit card issuers, such as American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, Citi and Discover allow you to check your credit score for free as a cardholder. And if you’re not a cardholder, Discover, Capital One and Chase allow anyone to enroll in their programs and check their scores for free.
Beginning this Saturday, July 1, quite a few Americans will be pleased to see their credit scores increase — even if it’s just by a few points. With credit scores, every point counts, so the possibility of an additional 20 points is great news for those who have seen their scores decrease because of liens or judgments.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees