See Inside Cirrus Vision, the $2 Million Private Jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Gulfstream G650 will run you a cool $66 million. This one costs two. That’s right, for “just” $2 million you can buy your very own private jet. I caught up with Cirrus to check out the Vision Jet this week at the Paris Air Show.
Here’s what that $2 million will get you:
- One engine with 1,800 pounds of thrust (that’s right, it’s a single-engine jet)
- Range of up to ~1,250 miles (about the distance of Boston to Miami; with reduced payload and speed)
- Cruise speed of 300 knots (345 mph)
- Maximum operating altitude of 28,000 feet
- Seating for five adults and two children
- Built-in parachute
Wait, what? A parachute? Yup! Just like on the Cirrus SR22, this jet is equipped with the Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (CAPS). Should all else fail, the pilot can activate the parachute and guide the jet safely to earth. I politely requested a demonstration, but the Cirrus representative just laughed and said to look for videos on YouTube. So that’s what I did:
The Vision Jet measures just 30 feet long — that’s not much larger than a 15-passenger van. It has an awesome v-tail, reminiscent of the Beechcraft Bonanza.
I mean how cool is that tail!
And there’s that little single engine — with just 2,000 pounds of thrust, think “lawnmower” rather than “Lamborghini.” By comparison, the GE90 engines that power the Boeing 777 are each capable of up to 115,000 pounds of thrust.
The Vision Jet can be operated by a single pilot, but there’s room for two.
The glass cockpit is state-of-the-art, with large LCDs and sidestick controls.
You’ll be operating at high altitudes, which explains the oxygen masks overhead.
As for the passenger cabin, there are two captains chairs up front.
And then a third large chair and two smaller seats behind — that’s where you’ll want to stick the kids. There’s no lavatory in the standard model, so be sure you “go” before you board. The cabin has very large windows as well — it is called the Vision Jet after all.
While the plane actually feels fairly spacious inside, it really is compact, as you can see with this Paris Air Show attendee (involuntarily) posing for scale.
So when can you get one? Very soon — Cirrus plans to deliver up to 50 jets this year, with another 100 or so coming in 2018. So there’s still time to get your $2 million ready.
See these posts for more from the Paris Air Show:
- Inside Airbus’ (Empty) A380plus Double-Decker Airliner
- Airbus Plans to Refresh A320 Cabins in 2020
- Video Tour: Qatar Airways’ Brand-New Qsuite Business Class
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.