Flight Delayed After Passenger Throws Coins in Engine for ‘Good Luck’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This story serves as the perfect reminder that it’s never a good idea to throw anything into an aircraft’s engine (did anyone really need this reminder?). China Southern Flight 380 from Shanghai (PVG) to Guangzhou (CAN) was delayed more than five hours after an elderly woman threw coins into one of the A320’s engines for “good luck.”
According to other passengers, the woman, who appeared to be about 80 years old, was seen throwing coins at the engine from the middle of the boarding staircase. After passengers reported the incident to crew, maintenance personal inspected the aircraft’s engine. Their findings? Nine coins.
— SCMP News (@SCMP_News) June 27, 2017
According to the South China Morning Post, the captain of the flight was quoted as saying that if the coins had not been removed, they could have been sucked up by the engine, which could have caused extensive damage and possibly even engine failure.
Passengers had already boarded the plane but were forced to deplane while mechanics checked the engine for coins. In all, the flight was delayed just more than five hours. While the investigation is still ongoing, China Southern said that passengers were reminded to comply with civil aviation laws and regulations, and any behavior that could jeopardize the safety of the flight is prohibited.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.