Flight Delayed After Passenger Throws Coins in Engine for ‘Good Luck’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This story serves as the perfect reminder that it’s never a good idea to throw anything into an aircraft’s engine (did anyone really need this reminder?). China Southern Flight 380 from Shanghai (PVG) to Guangzhou (CAN) was delayed more than five hours after an elderly woman threw coins into one of the A320’s engines for “good luck.”
According to other passengers, the woman, who appeared to be about 80 years old, was seen throwing coins at the engine from the middle of the boarding staircase. After passengers reported the incident to crew, maintenance personal inspected the aircraft’s engine. Their findings? Nine coins.
— SCMP News (@SCMP_News) June 27, 2017
According to the South China Morning Post, the captain of the flight was quoted as saying that if the coins had not been removed, they could have been sucked up by the engine, which could have caused extensive damage and possibly even engine failure.
Passengers had already boarded the plane but were forced to deplane while mechanics checked the engine for coins. In all, the flight was delayed just more than five hours. While the investigation is still ongoing, China Southern said that passengers were reminded to comply with civil aviation laws and regulations, and any behavior that could jeopardize the safety of the flight is prohibited.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.