This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Paris Air Show officially gets underway next week and some very cool events have already launched. Along with the show, we can expect more than a few awesome exhibitions from Boeing, Airbus and others. Airplane manufacturers often produce videos in advance of the big week to show off their wares, as Boeing did in 2015 to demonstrate the capabilities of its 787-9 aircraft.
This year, Boeing is back with a eye-popping new video exhibiting some side-by-side precision flying of two of its brand new aircraft: the 787-10 Dreamliner and the 737 MAX 9.
The 737 MAX 9, which rolled out of the factory in March and took to the skies for the first time in April, is the largest 737 variant ever produced by Boeing, measuring 138 feet in length and seating up to 220 passengers. But it looks like a little pipsqueak as it lines up on the tarmac next to its “dash ten” Dreamliner big brother. The 787-10 has been stretched to a length of 224 feet and can accommodate a maximum of 330 passengers; it made its first flight in April as well.
Should you ever find yourself with a 787-10 and a 737 MAX 9 conveniently on hand and consider trying any of these extreme maneuvers on your own — namely the nearly 90-degree vertical take-offs each plane executes — please keep in mind the company’s “do not attempt” fine print disclaimer at the end of the video.
Watching this pair cut through the skies together is an #AvGeek dream, and is just the start of the excitement. We’ll be reporting regularly from the industry’s biggest event over the next few days, so stay tuned to this page and Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig’s Twitter and Instagram accounts for more to come from Le Bourget.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that