Saying Nice Things About Qatar Could Get You Arrested in Dubai and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week, several nations cut their diplomatic ties with the State of Qatar, claiming the country supports terrorist groups. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates shut down all air, ground and sea routes with Qatar, and by Monday night, Qatar Airways wasn’t permitted to fly into or over the aforementioned countries.
Now, restrictions are growing even tighter — even for those transiting through the UAE. Today, the country threatened that it would punish anyone who expressed sympathy toward Qatar with up to 15 years in prison and a fine of at least 500,000 dirhams ($136,000), and it announced that it was going to bar entry for Qataris to the country.
Transiting through DXB or AUH? Don’t even mention Qatar… https://t.co/pNPgRvDnWY
— Jason Rabinowitz (@AirlineFlyer) June 7, 2017
If you’re traveling through the UAE, including Dubai, keep this in mind. If you’re caught sympathizing with Qatar, you could spend a long time in a UAE prison. In fact, it might be best just to not mention the country at all if you’re in the general neighborhood.
“Strict and firm action will be taken against anyone who shows sympathy or any form of bias towards Qatar, or against anyone who objects to the position of the United Arab Emirates, whether it be through the means of social media, or any type of written, visual or verbal form,” UAE Attorney-General Hamad Saif al-Shamsi told the UAE-based newspaper Gulf News.
Featured image of Doha courtesy of Zach Honig.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.