This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week, several nations cut their diplomatic ties with the State of Qatar, claiming the country supports terrorist groups. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates shut down all air, ground and sea routes with Qatar, and by Monday night, Qatar Airways wasn’t permitted to fly into or over the aforementioned countries.
Now, restrictions are growing even tighter — even for those transiting through the UAE. Today, the country threatened that it would punish anyone who expressed sympathy toward Qatar with up to 15 years in prison and a fine of at least 500,000 dirhams ($136,000), and it announced that it was going to bar entry for Qataris to the country.
Transiting through DXB or AUH? Don’t even mention Qatar… https://t.co/pNPgRvDnWY
— Jason Rabinowitz (@AirlineFlyer) June 7, 2017
If you’re traveling through the UAE, including Dubai, keep this in mind. If you’re caught sympathizing with Qatar, you could spend a long time in a UAE prison. In fact, it might be best just to not mention the country at all if you’re in the general neighborhood.
“Strict and firm action will be taken against anyone who shows sympathy or any form of bias towards Qatar, or against anyone who objects to the position of the United Arab Emirates, whether it be through the means of social media, or any type of written, visual or verbal form,” UAE Attorney-General Hamad Saif al-Shamsi told the UAE-based newspaper Gulf News.
Featured image of Doha courtesy of Zach Honig.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees