Apple to Debut Native Peer-To-Peer Payment Service in iOS 11
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Apple’s upcoming iOS software update will allow iMessage users to send and receive payments directly through the messaging app when iOS 11 is made available for download this fall, Senior VP of software Craig Federighi revealed at today’s WWDC conference in San Jose, California.
The feature will run off the company’s existing Apple Pay technology, verifying payments with fingerprint authentication. In addition to working with devices running iOS 11, the new service will be compatible with the Apple Watch. According to Federighi, payments will be stored in an “Apple Pay cash card,” and you’ll be able to make your payments with any debit or credit card you’ve linked to Apple Pay. Similar to established payment services such as Venmo, users will be able to transfer cash card balances to a linked bank account.
Apple is hardly the first company to add person-to-person payments to its messaging app — Facebook Messenger and Snapchat have offered similar services for at least two years. Plus, this service will only work if both parties involved have a device that’s running iOS 11, which isn’t a requirement of competing payment platforms.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees