Transfer Amex Points to Hawaiian With a 25% Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Part of what makes transferable currencies so valuable is their flexibility; your points aren’t trapped in just one program. Even better, sometimes airlines and hotels will partner up with these transferable point programs to allow members to transfer points with a bonus.
We just learned about a new transfer bonus that’s great for those looking to fly to — or around — Hawaii. Now through June 21, get a 25% bonus when transferring American Express Membership Rewards points to Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles.
Membership Rewards-earning cards include:
- The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express
- The Platinum Card from American Express
- Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card from American Express
- The Business Platinum Card from American Express
Since many of us don’t have Hawaiian miles, let’s dig into the airline’s award charts to see what might have some value:
Perhaps most tempting is that Hawaiian’s flights cost just 80,000 miles round-trip in first class between the mainland and Hawaii. It’ll take 64,000 American Express Membership Rewards points to get the required 80k Hawaiian miles. Not bad for a lie-flat first class product! TPG Assistant Editor had a chance to check it out earlier this year. Here’s his full review.
Or, if you’re okay flying to Hawaii in economy, round-trip flights on Hawaiian Airlines between Hawaii and the mainland cost just 40,000 HawaiianMiles — or just 32,000 Amex points with the transfer bonus. This cost is the same whether you fly from the West Coast or all the way from New York’s JFK. And, the taxes are only $11:
Once you get to Hawaii, if you want to island hop, you can use Hawaiian’s extension route to hop for as little as 7,500 miles one-way in economy. That’s just 6,000 Amex points with the transfer bonus. You have the option of booking first class on these short flights, starting at just 15,000 miles (12,000 Amex MR) one-way.
You can book Hawaiian flights on the airline’s website, but you’re going to have to call HawaiianMiles to book partner awards. Hawaiian awards can be held for up to five days to allow enough time for Amex Membership Rewards to transfer, but partner awards can’t be held.
Speaking of Hawaiian partner awards, here are some of the best options:
- Virgin Atlantic flights between the US East Coast and United Kingdom for 60,000 HawaiianMiles round-trip (48,000 Amex MR). Unlike Virgin Atlantic’s own awards, Hawaiian doesn’t pass along all of Virgin’s massive fuel surcharges. After 30 minutes on the phone with Hawaiian, I was able to price out a round-trip economy flight from New York’s JFK to London Heathrow (LHR) for 60,000 HawaiianMiles and $177 in taxes and fees.
- Virgin America flights under 750 miles for 20,000 HawaiianMiles round-trip (16,000 Amex MR)
- Intra-Japan flights on ANA starting at 18,000 HawaiianMiles one-way
- Intra-Australia flights for 20,000 round-trip for flights up to 1,000 miles on Virgin Australia
That said, flights to and around Hawaii certainly provide the best value for HawaiianMiles — especially with this transfer bonus.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!