Win a Trip on Alaska Airlines’ Chartered Flight to See ‘The Great American Eclipse’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 7/21/17 12:05pm: You can now sign up to be the lucky winner on this one-in-a-lifetime flight. To enter for your chance to win a seat on the flight to see the solar eclipse, visit alaskasolareclipse.com.
For the first time since 1918, the United States will see a solar eclipse that spans from coast to coast. “The Great American Eclipse,” as it’s being called, will take place on August 21, 2017, and will be visible in some form or another from the entire continental US. But, only those in a select, 70-mile-wide path will see the eclipse in totality, meaning the moon will completely cover the sun. Alaska Airlines wants to give you the chance to see this phenomenon — from 35,000 feet.
On the day of the eclipse (August 21, 2017), a special charter Alaska flight will take to the skies to give a select group of astronomers the chance to see it from above the ground. The flight will depart from Portland (PDX) at 7:30am PDT and fly west, off the coast of Oregon. Those on board will be the first to see the total solar eclipse.
The best part? While the chartered flight isn’t bookable and a tickets are issued by invitation only, Alaska is giving one person the chance to win a seat on the flight, through a contest it’s going to run via its social media channels beginning July 21, 2017. Check out the video below for a look at the Alaska flight from last year’s eclipse:
On the ground, a clear night is necessary to view the solar eclipse. However, as the weather in the Pacific Northwest isn’t exactly reliable, this flight gives those on board the ability to see the event without worry of cloud cover or spotty weather.
If you want to be the one lucky passenger to have the once-in-a-lifetime chance to see a total solar eclipse from 35,000 feet in the air, be sure to bookmark Alaska’s social media channels and pay attention on July 21. It’s not clear what you’ll have to do, but it’ll surely be worth checking out.
Featured image courtesy of Frank K. via Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.