Win a Trip on Alaska Airlines’ Chartered Flight to See ‘The Great American Eclipse’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 7/21/17 12:05pm: You can now sign up to be the lucky winner on this one-in-a-lifetime flight. To enter for your chance to win a seat on the flight to see the solar eclipse, visit alaskasolareclipse.com.
For the first time since 1918, the United States will see a solar eclipse that spans from coast to coast. “The Great American Eclipse,” as it’s being called, will take place on August 21, 2017, and will be visible in some form or another from the entire continental US. But, only those in a select, 70-mile-wide path will see the eclipse in totality, meaning the moon will completely cover the sun. Alaska Airlines wants to give you the chance to see this phenomenon — from 35,000 feet.
On the day of the eclipse (August 21, 2017), a special charter Alaska flight will take to the skies to give a select group of astronomers the chance to see it from above the ground. The flight will depart from Portland (PDX) at 7:30am PDT and fly west, off the coast of Oregon. Those on board will be the first to see the total solar eclipse.
The best part? While the chartered flight isn’t bookable and a tickets are issued by invitation only, Alaska is giving one person the chance to win a seat on the flight, through a contest it’s going to run via its social media channels beginning July 21, 2017. Check out the video below for a look at the Alaska flight from last year’s eclipse:
On the ground, a clear night is necessary to view the solar eclipse. However, as the weather in the Pacific Northwest isn’t exactly reliable, this flight gives those on board the ability to see the event without worry of cloud cover or spotty weather.
If you want to be the one lucky passenger to have the once-in-a-lifetime chance to see a total solar eclipse from 35,000 feet in the air, be sure to bookmark Alaska’s social media channels and pay attention on July 21. It’s not clear what you’ll have to do, but it’ll surely be worth checking out.
Featured image courtesy of Frank K. via Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees