This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Citi / AAdvantage Gold World Elite Mastercard
Along with priority boarding and a free checked bag, Citi-issued American Airlines co-branded credit cards offer a lesser-known perk: reduced mileage awards. This promotion allows you to save between 1,000 and 7,500 miles per round-trip, depending on the route and the type of card you have.
Before you scan the maps below, it’s important to remember that you can fly to or from these listed airports. Say you live in Charleston, WV (CRW). If you have an eligible credit card (see below) and can find saver award availability, you can fly to any airport in the US for just 17,500 miles round-trip from June to September — since your airport is listed for all four months.
If you live in New York (JFK/LGA/EWR), although your airport isn’t listed in any month, you can still fly from JFK/LGA/EWR to any of the airports listed below for 17,500 miles round-trip.
If you have one of the following cards, you can save 7,500 miles off of a round-trip award ticket (or 3,750 off one-way):
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard
Or, you’re eligible for 5,000 miles off of a round-trip award ticket (or 2,500 off one-way) if you have one of the following:
- Citi / AAdvantage Gold World Elite Mastercard (as well as the old Visa and Amex versions)
- AAdvantage Aviator Blue MasterCard (not accepting new applications)
|One-Way Flights||Within the US
|Award Chart Cost||12,500||7,500||15,000|
|Reduced Mileage Award Discount||(3,750)||(1,000)||(3,750)|
|10% Rebate (if eligible)||(875)||(650)||(1,125)|
If you have multiple types of cards (i.e., the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard and Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard), you’re only eligible to take the discount once. However, you’ll still be eligible for the 10% mileage rebate available on qualifying cards. So, your “net” mileage cost for an economy flight could be just 7,875 miles one-way (15,750 round-trip).
Nonstop award flights of less than 500 miles (each way) cost just 7,500 AAdvantage miles one-way — rather than the standard 12,500 miles one-way. These <500-mile award flights aren’t eligible for the 3,750-mile discount noted above, but instead see a savings of 1,000 miles each way. This means that you’ll pay just 6,500 miles one-way for flights of less than 500 miles (before the 10% rebate).
The just-ended version of the reduced mileage awards included just 27 airports. Turns out, it can get worse: Just 16 airports are included on the revised list for June. That said, there are some gems if you’re looking for a last-minute getaway:
The list of origins/destinations shrunk for July too, down from 26 airports to just 13 airports under the current version. Here are some of the destinations you might want to consider:
- Nantucket, MA (ACK)
- Montgomery, AL (MGM)
- State College, PA (SCE)
As we exit the peak summer travel period, AA is more generous with adding more airports to the list. August sees 54 airports included. Here are some you might be interested in booking:
- Amarillo, TX (AMA)
- Charlottesville, VA (CHO)
- Columbus, OH (CMH)
- Greensboro, NC (GSO)
- Huntsville, AL (HSV)
- New Orleans, LA (MSY)
- Roswell, NM (ROW)
Not mapped (for space): Bakersfield, CA (BFL); Yuma, AZ (YUM)
The floodgates open wide starting in September! There are 92 airports that you can fly to (or from) in September for just 8,750 miles (or 6,500 miles for flights under 500 flight miles) each way. Here are some especially noteworthy options:
- Atlanta, GA (ATL)
- Austin, TX (AUS)
- Houston, TX (IAH & HOU)
- Huntsville, AL (HSV)
- Nantucket, MA (ACK)
- Santa Barbara, CA (SBA)
- Tampa, FL (TPA)
- Vail, CO (EGE)
- West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
Not mapped (for space): Bakersfield, CA (BFL); Roswell, NM (ROW); Santa Barbara, CA (SBA); Vail/Eagle, CO (EGE); Yuma, AZ (YUM)
How To Book
Once you’ve found MileSAAver award availability on American Airlines’ website, call American Airlines at 1-800-882-8880 — or your elite reservations number, if applicable — to book the award ticket. As these awards aren’t available for booking online, the terms and conditions state that the standard $30 phone-booking fee will be waived. However, if you book through an airport agent or AA travel center, a booking fee of $35 will apply.
For June–September 2017 reduced mileage awards, the discount codes that you’ll have to provide the agent for the larger discount are:
|7,500 / 2,000-mile cards||Within the US
|Savings (per round-trip)||7,500||2,000||7,500|
|First Class (2-cabin)||UD21X2A / AVM86||UD14A / AVA36||UD26X2A / AVA33|
|Business Class (3-cabin)||UD28X7A / AVA31||N/A||UD33X7A / AVA34|
|Main Cabin||TD8X7A / AVM85||TD6X5A / AVA35||TD11X2A / AVA32|
And for the smaller discount:
|5,000 / 1,000-mile cards||Within the US
|Savings (per round-trip)||5,000||1,000||5,000|
|First Class (2-cabin)||UD22X5A / AVM83||UD14X5A / AVA30||UD27X5A / AVA27|
|Business Class (3-cabin)||UD30A / AVA25||N/A||UD35A / AVA28|
|Main Cabin||TD10A / AVM82||TD7A / AVA29||TD12X5A / AVA26|
1. The discount applies to flights both to and from the listed airports. However, American Airlines agents are instructed to only apply the discount for flights between the “48 contiguous United States or Canada” and the listed airports. So, unfortunately, this keeps you from applying this discount for flights between a listed airport and Europe, Asia or even the Caribbean.
2. Unfortunately the discount only applies to American Airlines-operated flights — not Alaska-operated flights.
3. The airports for June-July previously covered aren’t necessarily still available. Discounted award flights to/from the airports on this list had to be booked by May 31. Make sure to book award flights for the airports listed above before July 31 to avoid missing out. The list of airports for August and September will likely change on August 1.
4. The $75 close-in booking fee still applies for travel within 21 days — waived when American Airlines Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum members are using miles from their account.
5. As you can tell by the codes above, the discounts are also available for domestic business and first-class flights. The savings of 7,500/2,000 (5,000/1,000 for lesser cards) miles are the same regardless of the cabin booked.
6. Award flights to/from Canada no longer cost the same amount of miles as flights inside the US; award flights to/from Canada start at 30,000 miles round-trip in economy. If you are flying to/from an eligible city, you can apply one of these codes to save 7,500 miles.
Where will you go with this list of reduced mileage awards?
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees