Five Major Airlines Issue Weather Waivers for Friday Storms
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Strong winds and heavy rains are in the forecast for the Northeast again Friday, and five major airlines have released some last-minute travel change fee waivers.
If you’re flying to/from the affected airports, you can utilize these change fee waivers to rebook yourself on a different date. Or, if you’re just connecting through the area, you can use these change fee waivers to reroute yourself through different airports or on different dates. You might be able to get really creative with these:
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of this writing, here are the available travel waivers for Friday (and Saturday-Sunday for Missouri):
- Travel date: May 5
- Airports affected: Islip, New York (ISP); New Haven, Connecticut (HVN); New York Kennedy, New York (JFK); New York LaGuardia, New York (LGA); Newark, New Jersey (EWR); White Plains / Westchester County, New York (HPN)
- Must have bought your ticket by May 4. Rebook travel anytime between May 4-7. You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel date: May 2-7
- Airports affected: St. Louis, Missouri (STL); Cape Girardeau County, Missouri (CGI)
- Must have bought your ticket by May 2. Rebook travel anytime between May 2-10. You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel date: May 5
- Airports affected: Newburgh, NY (SWF); New York, NY-Kennedy (JFK); New York, NY-LaGuardia (LGA); Newark, NJ (EWR); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: May 7
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond May 7, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
- Travel date: May 5
- Airports affected: New York, NY (JFK); New York, NY (LGA); Newburgh, NY (SWF); Newark, NJ (EWR); Philadelphia, PA (PHL); Westchester County, NY (HPN)
- Customers may rebook their flights for travel through Monday, May 8 prior to the departure of their originally scheduled flight. Customers with cancelled flights may also opt for a refund.
- Original travel must have been booked on or before Thursday, May 4.
- Travel dates: May 5
- Airports affected: Long Island MacArthur (ISP); New York LaGuardia (LGA); Newark (EWR); Philadelphia (PHL)
- Customers who are holding reservations on Friday, May 5, and want to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with [Southwest’s] accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.
- Travel dates: May 5
- Airports affected: New York/Newark, NJ (EWR); New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK); New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before May 7, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees