Southeast Asia Wants to Emulate Europe’s Visa-Free Model
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Great news for backpackers or anyone else interested in visiting several countries on one trip: The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) — a 10-member economic, political and security alliance representing Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam — is looking to implement a single-visa policy for the entire region. This would mean that after receiving a visa for ASEAN countries, you could travel across their borders without a passport or having to apply for new visas each time.
The new single-visa policy could be in place as early as late-2017 or early-2018, starting with Thailand and Cambodia. In 2015, there were 104 million foreign visitors to the region, and as a result, ASEAN began marketing it as a singular destination instead of 10 separate countries. And while the growth of low-cost airlines in Southeast Asia has been tremendous, the region still doesn’t have a European-style Open Skies Agreement, which allows carriers from separate nations to fly from hubs in one foreign nation to another.
It seems that this move toward a more liberal travel policy is still in the works, but it’s exciting news for anyone planning a Southeast Asian adventure anytime soon. A single visa would also mean less money, fewer hassles and would ultimately make traveling between the countries a smoother experience. We’re hoping to see this policy get off the ground as soon as possible.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.