Southeast Asia Wants to Emulate Europe’s Visa-Free Model
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Great news for backpackers or anyone else interested in visiting several countries on one trip: The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) — a 10-member economic, political and security alliance representing Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam — is looking to implement a single-visa policy for the entire region. This would mean that after receiving a visa for ASEAN countries, you could travel across their borders without a passport or having to apply for new visas each time.
The new single-visa policy could be in place as early as late-2017 or early-2018, starting with Thailand and Cambodia. In 2015, there were 104 million foreign visitors to the region, and as a result, ASEAN began marketing it as a singular destination instead of 10 separate countries. And while the growth of low-cost airlines in Southeast Asia has been tremendous, the region still doesn’t have a European-style Open Skies Agreement, which allows carriers from separate nations to fly from hubs in one foreign nation to another.
It seems that this move toward a more liberal travel policy is still in the works, but it’s exciting news for anyone planning a Southeast Asian adventure anytime soon. A single visa would also mean less money, fewer hassles and would ultimately make traveling between the countries a smoother experience. We’re hoping to see this policy get off the ground as soon as possible.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees